Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

What would you like Echo to do?

Keifer

Re: What would you like Echo to do?
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2016, 01:07:31 am »
I would like to see the ability to send a "Simon Says" to Echo via IFTTT based on a specific trigger, similar to the function available via the remote.  For example if my motion detectors detect motion IFTTT would have my Echos say "INTRUDER ALERT"  😁
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 01:17:23 am by Keifer »

Monkeymail

« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2016, 05:01:58 pm »
I would like SiriusXM added to the streaming services that are available. Also, integrate with a hardware device like Tile. That way you could ask Alexa where my keys and wallet are located and she could trigger the hardware to alarm.

Vonda Z

« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2016, 10:58:50 pm »
I wish there was a way to map one home automation device name differently for each Echo/Dot/FireTV in the home. So, for example, while every Echo/Dot/FireTV in my home could turn on/off the bedroom/living room/family room/kitchen/basement lights by name, I would also create a device named simply "lights" but define it differently for each Echo. The Dot in the kitchen would map "lights" to the kitchen lights; the Dot in the bedroom would map it to the bedroom lights, the Echo in the family room will map to the family room lights, etc. That way, all I have to do is walk from room to room and say "Echo, turn on/off the lights" and the Echo that hears me will turn on/off the lights in the room that it is in.

Yes, I am now so spoiled I don't want to have to name the lights I want turned on/off - I just want Echo to know based on which Echo was asked.

DParker

« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2016, 12:34:54 am »
I wish there was a way to map one home automation device name differently for each Echo/Dot/FireTV in the home. So, for example, while every Echo/Dot/FireTV in my home could turn on/off the bedroom/living room/family room/kitchen/basement lights by name, I would also create a device named simply "lights" but define it differently for each Echo. The Dot in the kitchen would map "lights" to the kitchen lights; the Dot in the bedroom would map it to the bedroom lights, the Echo in the family room will map to the family room lights, etc. That way, all I have to do is walk from room to room and say "Echo, turn on/off the lights" and the Echo that hears me will turn on/off the lights in the room that it is in.

Yes, I am now so spoiled I don't want to have to name the lights I want turned on/off - I just want Echo to know based on which Echo was asked.

Yeah, the ability to determine which "lights" you're referring to based on the context of which room you're in would be nice.  Unfortunately, providing that capability reliably with all of types of setups people will have can get very complicate very quickly.  It's certainly possible, but I doubt that Amazon is going to find it to be worth the time, trouble and expense.  Though I'd be quite happy to be proven wrong.

« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2016, 04:37:21 am »

multiple amazon accounts and after discovery have it forget all the other lights you don't want the specific dot or echo to have access to. 

Vonda Z

« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2016, 06:57:55 am »
Yeah, the ability to determine which "lights" you're referring to based on the context of which room you're in would be nice.  Unfortunately, providing that capability reliably with all of types of setups people will have can get very complicate very quickly.  It's certainly possible, but I doubt that Amazon is going to find it to be worth the time, trouble and expense.  Though I'd be quite happy to be proven wrong.

I actually do not think it would be that difficult. Right now, the timers and alarms are stored independently for each device (when you set an alarm, only the Echo that you spoke to saves that alarm and executes it) and in the Alexa app, when you look at alarms and timers, you can switch between devices to see the alarms for each device. If they can do that on a device by device basis, you would imagine that keeping a definition for home automation could function similarly. If there is a definition created for a specific Echo device, that is used. Otherwise, use the definition defined for all devices. As a software engineer, I think it is really pretty simple logic.

Of course, I have no idea what the Echo's code looks like. Sometimes things that are simple in concept are incredibly difficult in practice because the original code was never designed with that functionality in mind. But it makes me wish I could have a look at the code and take a crack at implementing it.

additude

« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2016, 08:35:20 am »
1. Multiple echo names. Choose yer own...
2. Voice Recognition (Alexis.... "Yes Master") .... hehehe
3. Multiple Reminders and Timers with names. Alexis...Yes Master...Remind me in 20 minutes to take the beer out of the freezer...
4. External Speaker integration for fidelity upgrade.
5. Multiple Echo's by ID for intercom setup. Alexis...Yes Master...Listen and monitor the...ummm, the kitchen....
6. Leave Messages for other members of the organization or household. Alexis...Yes Master...Leave a message for Bob to have the Bi-Monthly sales report on my desk by 9 am...
7. Integration with home automation services. (Already with some, but full seamless integration with all brands.)
8. Improved acquisition of information resources on the web. (Be at least as smart as Siri)
9. Provide technical status information about the Echo like IP, UPtime, Downtime, etc.
10. Weather warnings and alerts, Civil Defense alerts, Amber Alerts, etc. (User enable/disable)
11. Favorite Recipes, culinary measurements, conversions, cooking times, etc.
12. Have "Echo" introduce itself. I want to say, "Alexa, this is my friend Chris"... and Alexa to say, "Hello Chris, nice to meet you, is there something that I can do for you today?"... I would like the Echo to be a little more "Personal".
13. I am a Prime Member, I was listening to music yesterday and I said, "Alexa, add this song to my playlist"... It said something to the effect that it cannot edit playlists..... that was a real bummer....
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:25:44 am by additude »

DParker

« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2016, 09:44:34 am »
I actually do not think it would be that difficult. Right now, the timers and alarms are stored independently for each device (when you set an alarm, only the Echo that you spoke to saves that alarm and executes it) and in the Alexa app, when you look at alarms and timers, you can switch between devices to see the alarms for each device. If they can do that on a device by device basis, you would imagine that keeping a definition for home automation could function similarly. If there is a definition created for a specific Echo device, that is used. Otherwise, use the definition defined for all devices. As a software engineer, I think it is really pretty simple logic.

Of course, I have no idea what the Echo's code looks like. Sometimes things that are simple in concept are incredibly difficult in practice because the original code was never designed with that functionality in mind. But it makes me wish I could have a look at the code and take a crack at implementing it.

On 2nd thought I agree that associating devices with individual Echos via aliases (ie, the group labeled "downstairs lights" at my account level could be aliased as simply "lights" for the Echo I keep in the family room, so that the functionality you seek is achieved while not sacrificing the ability to control those lights via the Echo in my bedroom, where "lights" refers to the "bedroom lights" group) shouldn't be that difficult (assuming the existing architecture and code base weren't poorly done in the extreme).  I was thinking more along the lines of the extra work for the configuration, validity-checking (to prevent ambiguities, circular references, etc) as well as changing the smart home logic from account orientation to device orientation, but after a night of some thought those things should be doable without much pain (again, assuming they haven't already architected themselves into a corner of some sort.)

Chris1958

« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2016, 05:37:57 am »
Roger sounds great, but can't find any reference to it on this forum or on Alexa app. Maybe missing something. Thanks just the same.

mike27oct

« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2016, 01:08:39 pm »
Type keyword roger in search box near top; you will find it.

DParker

« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2016, 02:19:18 pm »
Type keyword roger in search box near top; you will find it.

I bet he won't.

Offline kevb

« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2016, 04:08:37 pm »
Don't search from this page. Click the "Home" button at top left, then search for Roger. Or click "Search" at top left and be sure the whole forum is included in the search. Searching at top right from this page only looks at this thread.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:10:32 pm by kevb »

DParker

« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2016, 07:17:29 pm »
I actually just thought of one I'd like (that will never happen):  I want to be able to tell my downstairs Echo that I'm going upstairs to do something.  Then, when I get upstairs and forget what it is that I went up there to do I can ask the upstairs Echo to tell me why I'm up there.  :P

mike27oct

« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2016, 08:06:56 pm »
So, what you want is senior moment backup.  Maybe someone has made a skill. . . .maybe.  ;)

« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2016, 08:10:36 pm »
I actually just thought of one I'd like (that will never happen):  I want to be able to tell my downstairs Echo that I'm going upstairs to do something.  Then, when I get upstairs and forget what it is that I went up there to do I can ask the upstairs Echo to tell me why I'm up there.  :P

use the todo list  :-)