Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

What would you like Echo to do?

Daithi

Re: What would you like Echo to do?
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2016, 05:24:33 pm »
When it finishes one command it would be nice if it listened for a few seconds for another one. For example, when I say Alexa, play classic rock, after she responds I could say volume 7 without repeating Alexa.

This would be one of my top three feature requests as well.

My number two feature would be to say a phrase and have Alexa/Echo pre-programmed to do something. For example, "Alexa, I'm leaving." Turns off all my lights, sets the Nest thermostat to away mode, etc.

My number one feature would be to schedule a command for the future. For example, I could schedule to have my lights slowly turn on, the temperature to warm up, and begin playing KSFO on iHeartRadio each weekday morning. Also, I could schedule Simon says to occur at a specific time, "Alexa, tomorrow at 4:30 pm Simon says 'Remember to call your dad an tell him Happy Birthday.'" 

DParker

« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2016, 05:55:15 pm »
My number one feature would be to schedule a command for the future. For example, I could schedule to have my lights slowly turn on, the temperature to warm up, and begin playing KSFO on iHeartRadio each weekday morning. Also, I could schedule Simon says to occur at a specific time, "Alexa, tomorrow at 4:30 pm Simon says 'Remember to call your dad an tell him Happy Birthday.'"

That one is into home automation system territory.  The Echo can - and does - serve as a nice voice-command interface for such systems, but it is not a HA system itself.  For that kind of functionality you need to look into something like SmartThings, Wink, HomeKit, etc.

beresbart

« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2016, 08:21:38 am »
Will dictation ever become an option for the echo? As a writer, this would convert me immediately.

DParker

« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2016, 10:07:58 am »
Will dictation ever become an option for the echo? As a writer, this would convert me immediately.

Considering that you're going to need your transcribed text to end up on a PC or other word processing-capable device for editing and/or printing, and good dictation solutions already exist on those platforms I don't see any real practical value in adding dictation capability to the Echo.

« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2016, 11:02:57 am »
Are there any bluetooth HA coffee / tea makers out there that work with Echo so we can actually order Earl Grey, hot?   8)

momzo103

« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2016, 12:53:06 pm »
I would love Echo to replace my mantel clock and announce time on the hour.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2016, 05:32:44 pm »
Are there any bluetooth HA coffee / tea makers out there that work with Echo so we can actually order Earl Grey, hot?   8)

I think the only one is the Mr. Coffee Wemo Coffee Maker, but it's not compatible with Echo.
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-Wifi-Enabled-Coffeemaker-BVMC-PSTX91WE/dp/B00LUFSSWG

Coming up is the June Oven, which has an insane $1500 price tag. But not yet compatible with any other Home Automation devices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCuLxqGd0go

« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2016, 06:37:10 pm »

I think the only one is the Mr. Coffee Wemo Coffee Maker, but it's not compatible with Echo.
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-Wifi-Enabled-Coffeemaker-BVMC-PSTX91WE/dp/B00LUFSSWG

Coming up is the June Oven, which has an insane $1500 price tag. But not yet compatible with any other Home Automation devices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCuLxqGd0go

was looking at the june oven at their website.  Looks nice but I would not get it unless they dropped a couple of zeros off the price :-)  I have been wondering about smart appliances.  Most appliances last decades so I wonder how long the software will actually be supported.  I for one, would not purchase one because of that. 

NK7Z

« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2016, 09:42:54 pm »
I'd love for Echo to take a name for each timer, and then when the timer is being delivered, speak that name...  i.e. "Alexa set a timer for five minutes, laundry done."  Then five minutes later, Alexa delivers the timer by saying: "Five minute timer named Laundry is finished."
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:44:59 pm by NK7Z »

seba

« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2016, 08:41:45 am »

It seems that is compatible with echo but you need to use an IFTTT recipe named Brew Coffee with Echo

dancremeans

« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2016, 07:47:50 pm »
This will take Echo to the next level. "Alexa, tell me to take out the trash at 9:00 tomorrow." "Alexa, remind me tomorrow at 3:00 I need to go to the store." Etc. Right now if you set an alarm (or reminder), an alarm just goes off, it will not tell you what the alarm is for. I notice all the voice apps do not actually tell you why you set the alarm, or will remind with voice of a specific reminder you want read back to you. This is a huge hole that's missing in these devices. I assume this must be a difficult thing to program because none of them do it. Am I missing something here?

Offline kevb

« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2016, 09:37:49 am »
Couldn't you add the event to Google calendar, then set an alarm for the same time? Then when the alarm goes off, ask Alexa what's on your calendar. You can now add events to your calendar by asking Alexa "Add an event to my calendar" and she'll prompt you for time, day, and name of the event.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:40:40 am by kevb »

NK7Z

« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2016, 09:56:49 am »
Yes you could do that, but it is a hack, and it is not a timer...  The timers should be named...  I can't imagine why it is not by now...  It would be great to have a mode where Alexa tells you the Google Calendar event as well...

Kelleytoons

« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2016, 10:18:16 pm »
Just respond to my own custom name.

Three syllables is too many, but one is too few for a good wake up.  That leaves "Echo", which is a bit cold but if you have more than one you don't want to confuse you are in trouble.

I can't imagine it would be very difficult to have different wake-up words since they do have account info like device names and such.  Even just having 5 or 10 more names (like "Sarah", "Alice", "Henry", whatever) would be helpful.  But "Amazon" as a wake-up word?  Give me a break.

« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2016, 12:47:15 pm »
All apologies if this was mentioned prior (havent scanned all 8+ pages) but it would be a nice feature if Alexa(s) could act as an intercom system.  I have a multiple story home and it would be nice to send a message down to a different floor and even get a response....