Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Official Alexa app

Pagemakers

Official Alexa app
« on: September 15, 2016, 02:51:18 pm »
Is there any other app that I can use to control my Echo or doI have to use the Alex app?

mike27oct

Re: Official Alexa app
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 03:01:40 pm »
Just curious:  why do you not want to use the Alexa app?  The whole thing is a "system".  There are other apps that can access Alexa service, but only partially.  Roger is one.

Pagemakers

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 03:08:56 pm »
The only thing I dislike about the app is the Shopping List.

When you are in the supermarket, the app takes time to open and it's cumbersome when you just want to view the shopping list.

I did create a IFTTT recipie to populate the iPhone reminders app and that worked well but for some reason it has stopped working and there is nothing I can do to fix it.  You also have to manually delete the Shopping List using this methods because when you check an item off in the reminders app it does not clear the Shopping List.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 04:53:47 pm »
You must be new at this; Shopping List works fine.  My wife ,and plenty others use it in stores all the time.  Be sure your phone reverts to your data plan, because store Wi-Fi is often iffy.  Easy to add/delete stuff from shopping list; even using the phone mic.

Pagemakers

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 05:09:30 pm »
I'm not new at this actually and I disagree about shopping list.

Firstly for me wifi and data is not available in stores much of the time so I am using the app offline.

I open the Alexa app and sometimes I get a splash screen as it opens, then I have to select shopping list, then as I check the items off, if you have no data, sometimes they delete and sometimes they don't.

Then, when you are somewhere else in the supermarket and open the app, again it may show the splash page and you have to select Shopping List again.  This can take 10 seconds or so.

Now compare that with the iPhone reminders app.  It opens INSTANTLY, on the last tab you were on.  Data is not required to check items off and they stay checked.

When I am talking about deleting stuff you misunderstand me.  There I was referring the the IFTTT app.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 11:41:25 pm »
OK, I think I see the reason "our mileage varies".  You are in UK, I am in US.  US cellular and Wi-Fi coverage in stores is "good enough" most of the time.  Maybe now that Alexa is officially in UK, the conditions will improve with the Alexa app there.

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 05:30:26 am »
The only thing I dislike about the app is the Shopping List.

When you are in the supermarket, the app takes time to open and it's cumbersome when you just want to view the shopping list.

I did create a IFTTT recipie to populate the iPhone reminders app and that worked well but for some reason it has stopped working and there is nothing I can do to fix it.  You also have to manually delete the Shopping List using this methods because when you check an item off in the reminders app it does not clear the Shopping List.

the shopping list can be a pain to access inside of stores where wifi is iffy and mobile signal is worthless.  there are a couple of ways around it.  One is to start alexa before entering the store,or use ifttt.  There is one ifttt recipe where you can use evernote and sync your shopping list with it.  Evernote has a shopping list widget where it will appear, dependng on your settings.    there are others that will email or text your list.  what I do - I use ifttt and  have it text to google voice where it will send me both an email and text message.  this way I can get the list on my smartwatch. 

One major drawback- to get it to sync, you must ask alex to tell you what is on the shopping list.  alexa will immediately tell you BUT it will not do the ifttt immediately.  sometimes it could take up to an hour.   I don't know how many different ifttt recipes I tried but I found they all have that same problem.

Pagemakers

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 05:40:31 am »
Thanks for your reply.  I find even if I open the Alex app when shopping because you keep putting your phone away as you shop, each time you open it, sometimes the app starts with the splash page and slows the whole experience down.

Regarding IFTTT - for some reason the recipe to copy shopping list items to apple reminders has stopped working for me - it only works 30% of the time and anyway, after checking the items off on the reminder list you still have to manually delete them a second time from the Alexa app.  I wish there was a seperate alexa shopping list app - an app that opened instantly and didn't require a data connection to function.

Maff

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 07:26:48 am »
Thanks for your reply.  I find even if I open the Alex app when shopping because you keep putting your phone away as you shop, each time you open it, sometimes the app starts with the splash page and slows the whole experience down.

Regarding IFTTT - for some reason the recipe to copy shopping list items to apple reminders has stopped working for me - it only works 30% of the time and anyway, after checking the items off on the reminder list you still have to manually delete them a second time from the Alexa app.  I wish there was a seperate alexa shopping list app - an app that opened instantly and didn't require a data connection to function.

I agree with what you are saying about the slow splash screen on the Alexa app - I feel it has always been a slow pain, and the app showing it for no good reason all the time. However, I would second the suggestion  instead of trying to use the -> IOS IFTTT recipe you are using, and instead use a -> Evernote list instead. The app will load much quicker, and will pre sync before you hit the store in the background, and I think he IFTTT->Evernote channel seems less flakey. It also will pick up where you left off when you take the phone out of your pocket in the shop.

However I am also sure that it is also possible to find an IFTTT recipe which will drop a shopping item each time you enter it, rather than merely when you ask Alexa what is on the shopping list in entirety. I'm sure I had that working, but never used it, so turned the recipe off.

If you have trouble I will see if I can dig it out. In any case, there will be a solution to easier shopping :)

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 03:10:10 pm »
if you can get past that splash screen, it will still show an offline version of your shopping list if there is no wifi or cell service inside the store.  It may not the latest additions if you added items just before leaving the house.

I wish there was an amazon widget for the shopping list and todo list.  I guess the evernote recipe is the closest you will get.