Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Can Echo Dot change the source for a bluetooth enabled stereo?

dtrachtman

Can Echo Dot change the source for a bluetooth enabled stereo?
« on: September 14, 2016, 02:37:55 pm »
I have my bluetooth enabled stereo hardwired to my tv, but when I select it via bluetooth on my phone, it automatically changes the source on the stereo from TV to bluetooth. Can an Echo Dot do that too?

In other words, I would like to be able to leave the stereo sourced to the TV, but when I ask Alexa something it automatically activates the stereo to bluetooth mode and answers through the stereo speakers.

thanks

DParker

Re: Can Echo Dot change the source for a bluetooth enabled stereo?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 04:04:19 pm »
I have my bluetooth enabled stereo hardwired to my tv, but when I select it via bluetooth on my phone, it automatically changes the source on the stereo from TV to bluetooth. Can an Echo Dot do that too?

In other words, I would like to be able to leave the stereo sourced to the TV, but when I ask Alexa something it automatically activates the stereo to bluetooth mode and answers through the stereo speakers.

thanks

If I'm understanding you correctly, your stereo switches input source from the TV to your phone as soon as your phone establishes a Bluetooth connection with the stereo...and not just when your phone is actually transmitting audio data (like when you're playing a song).  Further, that switch remains in effect until you terminate the phone<->stereo Bluetooth connection, correct?  If so then the answer to your question is, "no".  That would require the Dot to create and then tear down a new Bluetooth connection with your stereo in response to each and every command, which would be very slow and borderline unusable for most purposes.

If, on the other hand, your stereo had the ability to temporarily override the current input source whenever (and only when) it received actual audio data from a connected BT source then what you're looking for would work.  I don't know of anything that actually supports that (though most modern BT-capable car head units will automatically interrupt whatever audio they're currently playing - if any - in response to call activity from your connected cell phone so that you can use the car's microphone and speakers to carry on the call...but that's based on a different BT profile.)