Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

amazon big plans for the echo

amazon big plans for the echo
« on: August 08, 2016, 05:11:14 am »
interesting article about amazons big plans for the echo...

if you want to see where the link goes then proceed to it
http://preview.tinyurl.com/j3j3mb6

or if you want to go there directly
http://tinyurl.com/j3j3mb6

Offline jwlv

Re: amazon big plans for the echo
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 11:46:43 pm »
I think Amazon is betting on the same thing that Google did with opening Android to outside developers. Soon, we'll see a myriad of devices that tout "powered by Alexa" or something similar.  But that also means that there may be some subpar devices, just like there are some really horrible Android tablets & phones. Meanwhile, Apple remains closed on everything which may bring a better customer experience, but it also slows innovation.

TheFallenAngel

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 10:15:54 am »
Vobot is one of them..

Cheers,
Alex

h_smith

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 12:40:38 pm »
Hello, first time user of the forum here.

I read the above mentioned article and found this mention:

While Amazon could eventually give people access to Alexa’s functions through apps on smartphones (a couple of apps from independent developers do this already), Mr. Dawson is skeptical that Amazon will be able to make them work as well as assistants more deeply integrated into smartphones by Apple and Google.

Can you tell me if there is a smartphone app that I can use as if it were an extension of my Echo at home meaning that I could make requests that it would do locally like turn on and off plugs? Or were they saying it could "act like Siri" or "act like Google" if they wanted it to?

Thank you in advance.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 01:06:47 pm »
There has been an app discussed here called Roger that enables one to reach Alexa  for "simple tasks" such as asking traffic, weather, etc.  Search site for discussions. 
See this:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/05/12/roger-app-puts-amazon-alexa-in-your-phone-for-free/

h_smith

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 01:45:26 pm »
Hey thanks for the tip. I was able to get it working in about 5 mins. I would not bother with an online help, the help in Roger takes you where you need to go. Oddly it is not shown in the settings screen. Oh well, works great, thanks!

Maff

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 10:31:53 am »
There is another app callex Lexa which does a great job of putting Alexa on your phone. I've just created a tasker task which loads the app and presses the button automatically  to make her listen afterwards. I have saved it as an app via tasker and mapped it to my phone home button, so a double tap of the home button is all you need to do so speak to alexa anywhere. Works well in the car, especially for it reading my kindle books to me. I'm hoping music will work on it soon too. It controls all my home automation stuff too, which is a billion times quicker now for turning on the heating when heading home in winter than loading the stock app for Wemos or hue etc etc. Just double tap and "turn on the heating"! Great!