Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Where is this feature?

DouglasPHill

Where is this feature?
« on: November 06, 2017, 08:54:58 am »
So I recently set up a new Echo at home and I also have the Alexa app on my phone.
Say I'm not at home.   My wife should be able to say  "Alexa, where is Doug?"  and Alexa, should respond
with some type of location information. 

Please tell me if this exists.  I would put this in the list of "things Alexa should be able to do"

Thoughts?
Thanks

Laurel

Re: Where is this feature?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 12:27:38 pm »
Are you serious?  Why would anyone want that feature?  Privacy is so important. We don't need people tracking us.

Offline kevb

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 01:03:44 pm »
Try the TrackR Find My Phone app- i believe it will give the street address of your phone.

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 01:19:41 pm »
I haven't heard of that.  My husband and I use Life360...hey, I recall hearing that Life360 is going to be an Alexa skill and here it is.  Do you think this might be what you're talking about?
https://www.amazon.com/Life360/dp/B06XHQFLGX
We don't use the skill.  We use the app.

No one is invading anyone's privacy if both parties agree  ::)
Laurel, people are tracking  you all the time.  If you have locations enabled on your phone, you're being followed (or could be).  Cell towers ping your locations.  Alexa and GH certainly has the ability to listen to everything you say.  Baby monitors, tvs, webcams, city/street/parking lot cams.  If you want privacy, move to a cave in Serbia ;)

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 01:38:30 pm »
Cool!  I just installed the skill (already have the app and I think you need to install that before the Skill).  I asked Alexa to ask Life360 where is David.  She said he was new Crosslake Blvd and it would take 52 minutes to get there.  I think she even said how long he'd been there.  It will be interesting this evening when he's one his way home if it reports he's "moving" like the app shows.  The app even shows his icon actually moving along the road.  Thanks for the topic!  Now to see if GH offers Life360

asianrocker

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 01:51:21 pm »
This is both a scary and helpful skill/feature. Helpful if you have kids. Not so much if you have a stalker.  :o

malliekm

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 02:16:20 pm »
asianrocker, would you add your stalker to your circle of friends or family members?  Only those people have access to your location.  It's also good for couples who are of the age that they realize they're not invincible.  I like knowing that if anything were to happen to my husband or I just needed to get to him asap, I have an app that shows me exactly where he is and even how long it will take me to get to him and a map.  Same for him if he is worried about me.  David was at the deer lease all weekend.  I can tell when he's in the stand(s) or in camp.  I won't call if he's in his stands hunting.

DouglasPHill

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 03:00:42 pm »
Are you serious?  Why would anyone want that feature?  Privacy is so important. We don't need people tracking us.
Different strokes for different folks.  I completely understand anyone who would not want this feature.  In my case, I have no problem with my wife (or kids) being able to ask Alexa where I am. 

Regarding the other suggestions, they were good, but in the past I have tested one or two of those and I determined that not being able to configure how often it sent out position updates (constantly) was a battery killer.  I contacted one of the makers and suggested it be a configuration setting so I could set it to once a minute.  They weren't too keen on my idea.  Not sure why.

malliekm

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 03:30:44 pm »
So Life360 wasn't it?  It was announced Sept 29th.  I haven't heard of any other option to do this.  I like it.  Now I don't have to find my phone to see how close he is to home for dinner purposes.  Just ask Alexa :)  Google Home doesn't seem to have it yet.

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 04:53:54 pm »
I haven't heard of that.  My husband and I use Life360...hey, I recall hearing that Life360 is going to be an Alexa skill and here it is.  Do you think this might be what you're talking about?
https://www.amazon.com/Life360/dp/B06XHQFLGX
We don't use the skill.  We use the app.

No one is invading anyone's privacy if both parties agree  ::)
Laurel, people are tracking  you all the time.  If you have locations enabled on your phone, you're being followed (or could be).  Cell towers ping your locations.  Alexa and GH certainly has the ability to listen to everything you say.  Baby monitors, tvs, webcams, city/street/parking lot cams.  If you want privacy, move to a cave in Serbia ;)

that is a difference than having a spouse track you :-)  could mean lawyers and divorce court

malliekm

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 04:56:45 pm »
Fortunately I don't have to think in those realms.   38 years in 10 days :)

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 05:58:00 pm »

as Phyllis Diller once said, she stayed married until he sobered up  :-)   anyway congrats, marriages that long were made in heaven. 

malliekm

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 07:31:46 pm »
anyway congrats, marriages that long were made in heaven.

Aw, thanks renegade.  Every now and then you surprise me with your kind words :)
On Thanksgiving Day my parents will be married 60 years.  My husband's
parents made it to 50 years before his mother died.  We've had good role models.

Laurel

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 03:13:06 pm »
asianrocker, would you add your stalker to your circle of friends or family members?  Only those people have access to your location.  It's also good for couples who are of the age that they realize they're not invincible.  I like knowing that if anything were to happen to my husband or I just needed to get to him asap, I have an app that shows me exactly where he is and even how long it will take me to get to him and a map.  Same for him if he is worried about me.  David was at the deer lease all weekend.  I can tell when he's in the stand(s) or in camp.  I won't call if he's in his stands hunting.
I have been married 49 years, and always worry about hubby and his well being but no I don't want a location feature unless he gets dementia.  In my long career as a mental health nurse, the most common stalker was a spouse.  I do turn off location services on my phone. We don't need added tracking features.

DroMike

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 06:17:58 pm »
Wow - I didn't realize this existed (at least for the Echo; but of course I just set up mine two days ago).  I understand both sides and realize employing this is a personal decision.  However, for myself I'm perfectly fine if a loved one knows where I am at all times or any time they are concerned about me.  Heck, I've got nothing to hide.  Similarly I believe it a great peace of mind to locate someone who you feel is late and/or in the (hopefully) unlikely event they've been in an accident and are off the road somewhere when seconds count, etc.  I would bet first responders love people who have access to and use this app.

In any event and as someone else said, thank you (OP) for initiating the conversation.  Knowledge is a powerful thing!