Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

cost of big upload

gdennis67

cost of big upload
« on: September 10, 2017, 12:25:52 pm »
Having a heck of time finding information on Alexa costs. My issues is that I like to listen to old time radio shows while doing projects. i have about 3000 of them in MP3 format. I would like to upload them to Amazon so I can take my echo wherever I am and have Alexa start and stop playing- no selection is necessary, random selection is better. I can't find anything on Amazon's site that gives me a clue. Its all about downloading music. How hard do I have to beg to spend money with these guys??

mike27oct

Re: cost of big upload
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 01:35:08 pm »
Why do you feel it is necessary to upload all this stuff to Amazon?  It is so time consuming and may cost you $$ as well.  Play the shows on a smartphone and send the audio to the Echo or a BT speaker via Bluetooth.  You already have all these shows stored on a drive somewhere, so why duplicate all that effort?

What I do with my music is the same principle.  All my music is stored on a NAS server (but it could be stored on a hard drive in, or on a computer), so if I want to hear it on any Alexa device or BT speaker, I just play the music from that source on my smartphone or tablet and send it to the Alexa device or even to a Google Home via BT.  None of my music has been uploaded to Amazon; it is a waste of time and effort.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 02:50:02 pm »
just a fyi - there are several alexa skills that will play old time radio shows.  a few off the top of my head include, dragnet, the shadow, superman, philip marlow...

garyyoung

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 07:26:05 pm »
In the US, you can upload 250 music files to Amazon Music for free. For $24.99 a year, you can upload up to 250,000 files.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201379330

That page doesn't show the price, but it was displayed once I followed the link to "Your Amazon Music Settings."

gdennis67

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 07:30:49 pm »
Thanks folks, I didn't know Alexa had old time radio content, so that might be an option. I don't own a smartphone so that dog don't hunt. Cloud storage is still the ideal since I've re-mastered many of the recording to back out noise, clicks and pops, balance volume etc. Just wish it was possible to get an answer from Amazon central.

gdennis67

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 07:34:04 pm »
Gary, that's brilliant! Then I can ask Alexa to play them?

garyyoung

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 07:36:06 pm »
Gary, that's brilliant! Then I can ask Alexa to play them?

That's my understanding, though I have to admit I haven't tried that service out for myself.

joshsimpson79

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 09:43:58 am »
In the US, you can upload 250 music files to Amazon Music for free. For $24.99 a year, you can upload up to 250,000 files.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201379330

That page doesn't show the price, but it was displayed once I followed the link to "Your Amazon Music Settings."

I've used this for years.  I have about 23,000 songs stored.  I'm a musician and have tons of stuff that amazon doesn't have or just stuff that's obscure.  For me, it's a great deal.  I stream to all my devices.