Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Location Location Location

Tibbs

Location Location Location
« on: September 11, 2017, 03:32:58 pm »
Does anyone know why there are only a select number of locations in Settings in the Echo Dot? I live in Malta and Malta isn't represented, the nearest locations are Germany & Austria. Shouldn't all nation states be represented as we do travel from time to time right?

Grazie tutti!

strayfish

Re: Location Location Location
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 06:16:43 pm »
Probably because the service Amazon and its various skills provide plug into a lot of localised data, as well as different languages and/or accents so I'm guessing they don't roll out until they have all that (or most of it) pinned down. Mine has a British accent and everything I can access is largely tailored for the UK, including the selection of info it provides if you tell it Good Morning. It's a personal assistant but it wouldn't be very personal or very assistive if everything it did referred to the US and that wasn't where you lived.

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 08:34:34 pm »
I live in US but  set up my language as UK. LOL. Coz I love brit accent. Most of the time we don't understand each other but who cares.

Unfortunately for echo owners that live outside US, full integration is only for US location.

Jerome

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:40:54 am »
The next step in *real* AI would be for the assistant to recognize what language you're talking without having to choose between English, German, Spanish of French in the settings.
Also I'm surprised to see Amazon released the German language before Spanish considering the huge hispanic community in the US and worldwide whereas German is rather strictly localized to Germany/Austria.

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 04:10:59 am »
I live in US but  set up my language as UK. LOL. Coz I love brit accent. Most of the time we don't understand each other but who cares.

Unfortunately for echo owners that live outside US, full integration is only for US location.
Ah yes - I recall you want to die here! But if you mean by 'full integration' we don't get your football results, that's fine - I don't even want ours!