Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Essential Home

k9kids

Essential Home
« on: May 30, 2017, 01:41:53 pm »
Andy Rubin, Mr. Android, is working on a new product to play in the Google/Amazon marketplace.

Better late than never.

The more competition will keep existing players on their toes.

http://www.androidcentral.com/essential-home

malliekm

Re: Essential Home
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 02:06:48 pm »
Very interesting.   All I need is another name to confuse when I'm talking to the AIs...Echo is getting tired of being called Hey Google or Google Home (which isn't even a wake phrase!).  Alexa is getting tired of being called Echo and all other possible combinations.  Course I do the same with my grandchildren and their mother! :o

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 04:17:40 am »
Andy Rubin, Mr. Android, is working on a new product to play in the Google/Amazon marketplace.

Better late than never.

The more competition will keep existing players on their toes.

http://www.androidcentral.com/essential-home

that essential home will have one big advantage over the others, you will be able to give voice commands over the home network, not the cloud like the others.   something to think about if you have internet issues. 

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 12:11:17 pm »
I do not "get" the significance of your comment; home network vs internet, since both are so entwined.

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 01:46:13 pm »
that essential home will have one big advantage over the others, you will be able to give voice commands over the home network, not the cloud like the others.   something to think about if you have internet issues.

I see the concept in thought... however a certain amount of the Alexa AI is already using local data... It's not all Cloud. If the cloud is busy or down for a short time, Alexa still gives it the ol' scout effort to accomplish what you ask of it... It won't do web searches for stuff if "offline" but will still run some brands of lights and enabled devices without internet connection... but your wifi router better be in good form to still operate locally controlled stuff. This situation is also why I am a fan of the HUE lights and Smart Hub controlled outlets instead of the ones that use the manufacturer's servers to control them.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 03:36:49 pm »
I do not "get" the significance of your comment; home network vs internet, since both are so entwined.

it is not totally entwined.  when internet is down, your local or home network is not.   that is the difference.  you can still share and see other computers and devices within the home.   that is why with some smarthome devices, you can still use them using their respected apps.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 10:03:54 pm »
Yes, IF their app doesn't access the internet. Believe me, I DO know the difference between home network and Internet.  Many people think they are one and the same.

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 04:28:41 am »

Yes, IF their app doesn't access the internet. Believe me, I DO know the difference between home network and Internet.  Many people think they are one and the same.

based on your original comment how can I believe?  :-P

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 03:28:55 pm »
Cut me some slack, and not slice and dice so finely.  ;)