Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Using Echo with existing audio / video setup

foxhandybread

Using Echo with existing audio / video setup
« on: March 13, 2017, 11:41:56 am »
Hello all!

I have recently received as a gift an Echo dot and am currently using it on its own with integrated speakers and very much enjoying it, however I’d like to add it into my existing sound setup and am having difficulty figuring out how. I have a pretty basic setup - Samsung TV with 3.5mm audio jack output to a set of Logitech stereo speakers.

I’d like to hook the Echo up to the speakers too so I can listen to radio etc through them, but at the moment this has two issues: A. I have to unplug the audio jack from the Echo and switch it to the TV when watching films, which is not ideal and B. When the speakers are switched off, I can no longer use the Echo (I have read that when the Echo has an audio jack plugged in it disables its internal mic).

What i’d like to do is to merge the audio inputs from the Echo and the TV into the speakers, and if possible allow the Echo to use it’s internal microphone when the speakers are switched off. I have tried a simple 3.5mm audio jack splitter (like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leegoal-Nickel-Plating-Splitter-Adaptor-Black/dp/B001D87Y48/) but this just routes the audio from the TV into the left channel of the speaker and the audio from the Echo into the right channel, which again is not ideal.

I’ve seen some suggestions involving switches or plumping for an AV receiver but as far as I can understand this would involve me having to switch manually to the channel being used by the Echo whenever I wanted to use it. So if I was watching some TV I wouldn’t be able to ask Alexa the weather, for example. I’m thinking it must be a relatively common situation - ie. someone has an existing AV receiver with speakers and wants to integrate the Echo into it so that it’s constantly listening but doesn’t require manual switching channels. Do I need to look into Bluetooth options?

On a separate note, I’m using a Fire TV Stick plugged into the TV, and it’s the older one without Alexa mic. How amazing would it be if I could use the Echo to control it? They are both on the same Wifi network and it would seem to be an obvious use case.. Think it might be coming in an update or do Amazon not think anyone’s going to want this functionality?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

mike27oct

Re: Using Echo with existing audio / video setup
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 05:28:04 pm »
These questions have been gone over so many times here .... what the heck, I can be brief.

I have a Dot connected to audio input of my stereo, and audio out from TV into a second audio input.  So, yes, I do have to turn selector switch of stereo to hear one or the other.  This is the way it is, and not convenient, although I have other Alexa devices nearby for giving commands to.  If you want to use your Dot in the stereo at all times, dedicate it to that task, and just get another inexpensive Dot to place nearby.

Fire TV;  The Amazon Fire TV app installed on phone or tablet can sub for the built in mic of newest remote.  I also have the new Fire TV, and remote mic is not really that useful to use.  Dot does not control Fire TV; better to use remote or Fire TV app.    For them to work, the TV must be on if you want audio for weather, time, although it will work if TV is off and you ask Alexa to turn on/off lights as it can do, because there does not need to be audio for this task.

Jez

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 03:27:02 am »
Sounds like your splitter is splitting the stereo into two separate channels when what you need is a stereo 'Y' connector that retains stereo in both. You could also get an inexpensive mixer that you can plug in several inputs and then control the volume of each on sliders .... check on ebay.

foxhandybread

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 12:11:02 pm »
Thanks for the responses chaps. I suspected that what I wanted to do was somewhat not the done thing. I'll look into a simple mixer and see if this sorts it out, otherwise multiple Dots!

Also thanks for the tip Mike, I hadn't realised you could use the Fire TV app as a substitue for the mic - I'll give that a try.

Cheers!