Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot is playing music when i come home

Bretman

Echo Dot is playing music when i come home
« on: December 03, 2016, 04:48:30 pm »
When I leave my house the Echo Dot is off but when I come home it's playing the last music station I was using.

strayfish

Re: Echo Dot is playing music when i come home
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 06:04:32 pm »
When I leave my house the Echo Dot is off but when I come home it's playing the last music station I was using.

Every time or just sometimes? I'm asking because mine suddenly come on unexpectedly at times but it's usually after a disconnect from the station they were playing which I've forgotten about and not cancelled, or a sound from somewhere else - the TV for instance - has both woken the device and triggered a music app.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 09:58:51 pm »

I've had something similar happen to me and I think I know why. I listen to my favorite talk radio almost everyday. When I ask Alexa to play the station and she acknowledges the station and begins playing. All is good.

There's a few times when Alexa acknowledges the station I stated, but nothing plays. And there's also been times when the station just stops playing midstream with no apparent reason. I think it's actually playing a silent stream. When this happens, the station begins to play again by itself some time afterwards. This time could be a few minutes or hours later.

I believe the reason this happens on occasion is because TuneIn or the station's streaming service stopped working. Alexa never loses the connection and as far as she can tell, she is still playing the station. If I turn on my radio I can still hear the station, so they are still broadcasting. It's just something with their streaming provider that's not working right.

This doesn't happen very often but it could have happened to you. Were you playing a station prior to leaving the house? Maybe your station's streaming provider had a problem and your Echo was silent (although it was playing a silent stream). By the time you returned home, the station is playing correctly again.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 12:47:33 am »
As I have said in other threads, it is good practice te tell your various echo device to Stop once in while when they are silent, just in case above conditions are in play.  I left for a trip recently, and told all of the devices to stop right before we left.

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 05:06:25 am »

I've had something similar happen to me and I think I know why. I listen to my favorite talk radio almost everyday. When I ask Alexa to play the station and she acknowledges the station and begins playing. All is good.

There's a few times when Alexa acknowledges the station I stated, but nothing plays. And there's also been times when the station just stops playing midstream with no apparent reason. I think it's actually playing a silent stream. When this happens, the station begins to play again by itself some time afterwards. This time could be a few minutes or hours later.

I believe the reason this happens on occasion is because TuneIn or the station's streaming service stopped working. Alexa never loses the connection and as far as she can tell, she is still playing the station. If I turn on my radio I can still hear the station, so they are still broadcasting. It's just something with their streaming provider that's not working right.

This doesn't happen very often but it could have happened to you. Were you playing a station prior to leaving the house? Maybe your station's streaming provider had a problem and your Echo was silent (although it was playing a silent stream). By the time you returned home, the station is playing correctly again.

Yes - all of that! And as Mike says, cancel whatever was supposed to be playing and isn't then it won't start up again unexpectedly.

mikenilson

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 11:11:46 am »
Is your Dot connected to a Bose Soundlink Mini by any chance? I am having the same problem. I tell the Dot to stop, leave the room and in 30 minutes when the Soundlink Mini disconnects from the Dot (because of bluetooth inactivity) the music I was last listening to starts playing by itself on the Dot speaker. There is no History of anything spoken to the Dot to make this happen. I have tried this test with other Bluetooth speakers and all is well, it only happens with the Bose Soundlink Mini. I do not know if it is an Echo Dot bug or a Bose bug?

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 03:13:02 pm »
Bluetooth can be very intrusive, so best to turn it off on both transmitter and receiver when not using it.

mikenilson

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 05:20:08 pm »
Bluetooth can be very intrusive, so best to turn it off on both transmitter and receiver when not using it.

That is ridiculous! The whole point of the Echo Dot is to connect it to an external Bluetooth speaker of your choice. Every time I want to use the Dot I would have to enable everything on both devices first. Not convenient at all!

DParker

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 05:43:35 pm »
Is your Dot connected to a Bose Soundlink Mini by any chance? I am having the same problem. I tell the Dot to stop, leave the room and in 30 minutes when the Soundlink Mini disconnects from the Dot (because of bluetooth inactivity) the music I was last listening to starts playing by itself on the Dot speaker. There is no History of anything spoken to the Dot to make this happen. I have tried this test with other Bluetooth speakers and all is well, it only happens with the Bose Soundlink Mini. I do not know if it is an Echo Dot bug or a Bose bug?

If the music ends up coming from the Dot's internal speaker then your Bose speaker has nothing to do with it.

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 07:34:08 pm »

That is ridiculous! The whole point of the Echo Dot is to connect it to an external Bluetooth speaker of your choice. Every time I want to use the Dot I would have to enable everything on both devices first. Not convenient at all!

Believe what you want, but that will not stop BT from intruding when you don't want it to.  Still don't believe?, search the forum message base for "bluetooth" and read about some of the "adventures" with BT.

You may only have to turn off the BT speaker's BT, not both.  Try this first.

mikenilson

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 08:57:22 am »

If the music ends up coming from the Dot's internal speaker then your Bose speaker has nothing to do with it.

I beg to differ. It only happens with the Bose speaker. I've tried it with 3 other bluetooth speakers and it does not do it.

mikenilson

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 09:01:12 am »

Believe what you want, but that will not stop BT from intruding when you don't want it to.  Still don't believe?, search the forum message base for "bluetooth" and read about some of the "adventures" with BT.

You may only have to turn off the BT speaker's BT, not both.  Try this first.

It happens when the Bluetooth is turned off manually or after 30 minutes of inactivity (auto) on the Bose speaker after the Dot was told to stop playing music. Every time and only on the Bose speaker does this happen.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:29:50 am by mikenilson »

mike27oct

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 01:45:09 pm »
Based on your comments; that you tried using different BT speakers and only the Bose is acting up, it seems to me the Bose is the culprit and not the Echo.  This does not imply the Bose is "bad"; it only implies this is how it works.  Again, turn off Bose and see if problems are gone.

mikenilson

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 02:43:35 pm »
Based on your comments; that you tried using different BT speakers and only the Bose is acting up, it seems to me the Bose is the culprit and not the Echo.  This does not imply the Bose is "bad"; it only implies this is how it works.  Again, turn off Bose and see if problems are gone.

Half Empty, Half Full! The Echo Dot is the peripheral "acting up" when the Bose turns off. The Echo Dot is playing music when it has not been told to "All by itself" and only after the Bose does nothing more than turn itself off.

mike27oct

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 06:11:32 pm »
So, contact ECHO Support and ask for an exchange, and I would bet you will still have the same issue with another Echo!