Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot is playing music when i come home

DParker

Re: Echo Dot is playing music when i come home
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 07:07:55 pm »
Is your Dot connected to a Bose Soundlink Mini by any chance? I am having the same problem. I tell the Dot to stop, leave the room and in 30 minutes when the Soundlink Mini disconnects from the Dot (because of bluetooth inactivity) the music I was last listening to starts playing by itself on the Dot speaker. There is no History of anything spoken to the Dot to make this happen. I have tried this test with other Bluetooth speakers and all is well, it only happens with the Bose Soundlink Mini. I do not know if it is an Echo Dot bug or a Bose bug?

If the music ends up coming from the Dot's internal speaker then your Bose speaker has nothing to do with it.

I beg to differ. It only happens with the Bose speaker. I've tried it with 3 other bluetooth speakers and it does not do it.

OK.  How exactly is it that you think the Bose speaker is causing your Dot to resume playing an audio stream that you told it to stop playing earlier?

mikenilson

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 08:25:13 pm »
Is your Dot connected to a Bose Soundlink Mini by any chance? I am having the same problem. I tell the Dot to stop, leave the room and in 30 minutes when the Soundlink Mini disconnects from the Dot (because of bluetooth inactivity) the music I was last listening to starts playing by itself on the Dot speaker. There is no History of anything spoken to the Dot to make this happen. I have tried this test with other Bluetooth speakers and all is well, it only happens with the Bose Soundlink Mini. I do not know if it is an Echo Dot bug or a Bose bug?

If the music ends up coming from the Dot's internal speaker then your Bose speaker has nothing to do with it.

I beg to differ. It only happens with the Bose speaker. I've tried it with 3 other bluetooth speakers and it does not do it.

OK.  How exactly is it that you think the Bose speaker is causing your Dot to resume playing an audio stream that you told it to stop playing earlier?

I'm not gonna keep repeating what I stated already. Take the time to thoroughly read it and you will know that there is no other external force happening at the time that could cause this.  This isn't something I am not seeing happen, I am right there when it does. I am on this Forum seeking help because I do not know what specifically would cause this to happen on the Dot. It does not make sense.

mikenilson

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 08:53:52 pm »
So, contact ECHO Support and ask for an exchange, and I would bet you will still have the same issue with another Echo!

I have 2 Echo Dots, and Yes it happens on both.

mike27oct

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 09:12:23 pm »
>>>  I have 2 Echo Dots, and Yes it happens on both.

I would ecpect this, because YOUR BOSE is notifying the Echo to send the music again.

HAVE YOU TURNED BT OFF ON THE BOSE, AND DOES THE PROBLEM STILL EXIST after time has passed?  Give us some feedback on this previous question!

How are you turning off the music?  Are you telling the Echo to "disconnect bluetooth"?  This is what I do, and my BT speakers also turn off BT.  When I turn on my BT speaker again, it remembers what it was connected to (if device is on)  and the Echo reconnects to it (because modern BT devices can "remember")their connections).

DParker

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 09:27:45 pm »
I'm not gonna keep repeating what I stated already. Take the time to thoroughly read it and you will know that there is no other external force happening at the time that could cause this.

I did take the time to read it thoroughly, and understood it.  What you're not understanding is the difference between correlation and causality.

I am on this Forum seeking help...

You have a rather odd way of asking for it.

I would ecpect this, because YOUR BOSE is notifying the Echo to send the music again.

He said that when the music resumes it plays through the Dots' internal speakers, not the Bose.

mike27oct

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 10:52:04 pm »
>>> He said that when the music resumes it plays through the Dots' internal speakers, not the Bose.

Well then, I apparently got confused somewhere along the way.  So, my Echo can do this if I turn off the BT speaker first, it will immediately play through the Dot speaker (or stereo;s speakers when hard wired).  Suggest he try different order to tune stuff off, perhaps.

The fact that both his Dots act the same way does not indicate he has 2 bad Dots; it is in how he is using the Dots.

Godrex68

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 02:22:05 pm »
Hi just wanted to say that I use a Vizio sound bar with our ED using bluetooth and if i tell Alexa to stop playing music, it will start playing music again through its own speaker when the Vizio powers off or if i turn it off myself. Kind of annoying.

For clarification: I tell Alexa "stop playing music." Music stops playing. I either do nothing and my Vizio soundbar powers itself off in about 10-15 minutes OR I power the soundbar off with its remote. The ED then resumes playing music through its internal speaker.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:30:43 pm by Godrex68 »

mike27oct

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 06:52:03 pm »
You have closed the BT connection.  Telling Dot to "disconnect bluetooth" can do the same thing.

Godrex68

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 06:56:08 pm »
But if you told Alexa to stop playing music, it shouldn't start playing music again after the bluetooth coonection is closed.

mike27oct

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 10:22:17 pm »
OK, I'm not clear of what you want; do you want it to come on and play through speaker or not?

Apparently, telling it to stop playing music is not the same as saying "disconnect bluetooth'

Telling it to stop playing music is the same as when I tell it to "stop" if BT is not on, but BT could still be on, so best to tell it to disconnect if you really want it off and disconnected from BT.  I have no issues with my method.

Godrex68

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 10:34:34 pm »
What i want is for the ED to stop playing music when i tell it to and not start playing it again when the bt speaker powers off. I guess i have to disconnect bt first and then say stop. That's not really a problem but it seems like a flaw. Why should it start playing music on its own 15 minutes later just because the speaker powered off? I guess if they don't fix it I'll have use two steps to stop the music.

cheeksotron

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 05:41:06 pm »
I can also verify this is happening with my echo dot and my bose soundlink mini.  If I am listening to music via my soundlink and tell alexa to "stop" or "pause", the music stops, but if I wait and let the soundlink auto power off, my dot continues whatever it was playing when i stopped it earlier.  It's pretty annoying that "stop" only means "stop and then start again sometime later if the speaker goes to sleep".

mike27oct

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 09:41:56 pm »
Sounds more like problem is with Bose.  Most of us know to turn off Dot by telling it to "disconnect bluetooth". and if it is wired from Dot audio output, tell Dot to Stop playing.  You might not have to do anything with Bose with these commands since it will go to sleep.