Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Annoying static/hum from Echo Dot with wired speaker connection

Annoying static/hum from Echo Dot with wired speaker connection
« on: November 03, 2016, 02:33:29 pm »
My original Echo Dot Ver. 2 developed noise when wired to speakers via the 3.5mm jack.  The noise continued whether music was playing or Alexa was speaking.  I did a quick internet search and found out I wasn't the only one who had experienced this behavior.  I called Echo tech support, and after getting transferred to a higher level, was immediately offered a replacement unit.  My new unit seems to work fine, but I got the feeling this is a known issue.  My original unit worked fine initially, but after I unhooked it and rehooked it up to the speakers, the noise began.  Just an FYI, if you experience something similar.

Re: Annoying static/hum from Echo Dot with wired speaker connection
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 04:22:21 pm »
Hum from an electronic device is often due to a bad ground connection.  In fact, it happened to me with a Dot when first connecting the Dot's audio out cable the first time.  The Dot's jack is very tight at first, and although it felt completely inserted, it was not; hence a hum, so I removed and plugged in cable a few times to Dot and made sure it was fully inserted, and hum was, and has been, gone.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 10:43:11 am »
I have the same thing happen to a new unit I purchased and I checked a room where I don't use the Dot very much and it was doing the same thing on an older unit. I am thinking it might be a bad software update.

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 03:57:00 pm »
I too heard an annoying hum when connecting my Dot to an external speaker/amplifier. It was a constant noise regardless of the volume setting of either the Dot or the speaker. Luckily the speaker had both phono and 3.5mm jack inputs and I was able to connect the Dot via the 3.5mm jack and then connect the outer part of the phono connector to earth. This caused the hum to almost disappear - thereby backing up mike27oct's observation that a bad ground connection is often to blame. For an earth, I used a nearby radiator pipe.

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 09:21:16 pm »
The problem is the jack into the Dot is not pushed in all the way.  A plug of a new Dot is very tight, so remove and push the jack into the Dot plug a few time to loosen it up until it is flush with the case.

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 01:13:28 pm »
There is a ground problem because the ground connection is not making contact because the jack is not fully plugged in!

Offline jwlv

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 05:59:26 pm »
That is true. The Echo Dot's audio jack is unusually tight. And most people think it's plugged all the way in when it really isn't. Just give it a firm push and you'll see that the buzzing/humming noise will go away when your audio plug is pushed all the way in.