Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo access to Wikipedia articles

PT_artist

Echo access to Wikipedia articles
« on: November 01, 2016, 05:34:44 pm »
I expected to make good use of Echo to access information, but ... so far the voice recognition and/or available data has been very frustrating. Echo sometimes does fine, BUT I am unable to use Echo to access existing Wikipedia entries.

Echo is too quick to match to the first thing that is finds, and may does not do well with proper names, e.g. I cannot get to an article on Scottish artist "Robert Sivell" instead Echo will always read me the entry for "Robert E. Lee".  Sometimes I cannot much resemblance in sound to the entries that Echo reads.

Echo needs a lot of improvement in voice recognition, sentence parsing, etc.   I find it very very disappointing compared to "OK Google"!

Are there any tips that might help me get better matches?

Re: Echo access to Wikipedia articles
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 06:00:15 am »
I can find all kinds of faults too with ok google where it does not give the right info.  ok google also needs a lot of improvement  in voice recognition, sentence parsing, etc.   

I am amazed at the number of people who are getting on the different echo forums recently to praise google and put down the echo. 

IMO, I did not get the echo to ask it stupid questions.  I got it to actually do some real work that help make me lazier.

DParker

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 08:58:03 am »
Echo is too quick to match to the first thing that is finds, and may does not do well with proper names, e.g. I cannot get to an article on Scottish artist "Robert Sivell" instead Echo will always read me the entry for "Robert E. Lee".
:
 I find it very very disappointing compared to "OK Google"!

Really?  When I asked "OK Google, who is Robert Sivell" multiple times, using various pronounciations of the last name, I got results for Chevrolet Chevelle, Robert E. Lee and Robert Duvall.  Nary a single Scot in the bunch.

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 04:49:33 am »
I expected to make good use of Echo to access information, but ... so far the voice recognition and/or available data has been very frustrating. Echo sometimes does fine, BUT I am unable to use Echo to access existing Wikipedia entries.

Echo is too quick to match to the first thing that is finds, and may does not do well with proper names, e.g. I cannot get to an article on Scottish artist "Robert Sivell" instead Echo will always read me the entry for "Robert E. Lee".  Sometimes I cannot much resemblance in sound to the entries that Echo reads.

Echo needs a lot of improvement in voice recognition, sentence parsing, etc.   I find it very very disappointing compared to "OK Google"!

Call Amazon Echo support and tell them that it didn't give you the right Wikipedia article about the right person.
-Paul.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 12:32:57 pm »

Call Amazon Echo support and tell them that it didn't give you the right Wikipedia article about the right person.

that is the biggie right there, Amazon Echo has support you can call.  Google????