Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Feature request....

itsjustmeee

Feature request....
« on: October 31, 2016, 05:01:24 pm »
Now that I have my Echo and 2 Dots in different rooms, I'm wondering why I can't just have one of them play music from Amazon Prime and tell Alexa to playback in all devices up so that the music is coming from all of the rooms. Seems like a no-brainer and a sort of poor-man's Sonos.

Re: Feature request....
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 01:33:33 pm »
That's a great idea, but the Echos don't "see" each other on the network or in Amazon's system.
-Paul.

Snafs

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 03:37:26 pm »
I agree, this SHOULD work.

There are some so obvious people would want them things, that don't (yet) work it is puzzling.
Part of me thinks the lack of any competition for pretty much 2 years, has a little to do with it. It's hard to push yourself to be 1st in a running race, if you are the only runner.
Google Home should benefit us Echo users, as they know if they don't deliver, it won't take many years at all for people to say, "Why would anyone buy an Echo"

The other thing I wish was different is that, whilst they can't play the same music as you say as they don't know about each other.
If you add a smartsocket, and name it "Light" in one room, then get another echo for your home, that new echo will, thanks to amazon also know about the switch called "Light"

This is a shame, as you can't have a light in each room, called light, walk into the room and say to the echo in that room "turn light on"

Other thing I would like is voice recognition so that when you ask about reminders it tells you yours, but when your wife asks it tells her hers.

Google home had not even hinted at that either.
Let's hope, over the next few years, with a lot more customer feedback, and competition, we can look forward to a lot more improvements than have happened over the past 2 years.

DParker

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 05:17:30 pm »
...that new echo will, thanks to amazon also know about the switch called "Light"

Well, that's just the thing.  None of your Echos/Dots/Taps (nor any other Alexa-capable device) know anything at all about your lights or other home automation stuff.  They're just somewhat "smart" input/output devices.  It is the Alexa service software running on the Amazon cloud servers that "knows" about your other devices.  That's why all of the Echos/Dots/Taps in your home, all of which are associated with your Alexa account, are able tp provide you with voice control of your lights, etc.  They all forward your comnands to the same cloud-based service for execution, but have no idea what those commands are for.

By contrast, streaming the same audio date to multiple devices in your home is a very different problem.  It's doable, of course...but the issues involved are more complex than multiple I/O devices being able to send the same command to a central server.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 05:20:01 pm by DParker »