Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Can't change default alarm sound

N9LO

Can't change default alarm sound
« on: October 24, 2016, 11:40:43 pm »
I just got my Echo Dot 2nd Gen a couple days ago and I am having a lot of fun.  The only thing that is bothering me is I cannot get to default alarm sound to change.  I go into Settings - Sounds and notifications and then select, for example, Countertop. It plays on my Nexus 7 tablet. I back out of the menus until I am at the Home screen.  I tell it to Timer 1 minute, it replies, 1 minute starting now.  In 1 minute it plays the default sound.   What am I doing wrong?   Thanks for the help.

Lee

DParker

Re: Can't change default alarm sound
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 12:00:28 am »
When you changed the default sound the control you select to do so is labeled "Alarm", not "Timer".  The sound you set will be used for any alarms you set.  The timer sound is not configurable.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:02:19 am by DParker »

N9LO

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 11:45:25 am »
Thank you.  If I say Timer 10 minutes it uses default sound.  If I say Alarm 10:30AM I get the sound I chose.  If I say Alarm 10 minutes it acts like I said Timer 10 minutes and uses the default sound.  Strange, if I use the word minutes it uses the default sound.

DParker

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 02:57:32 pm »
Thank you.  If I say Timer 10 minutes it uses default sound.  If I say Alarm 10:30AM I get the sound I chose.  If I say Alarm 10 minutes it acts like I said Timer 10 minutes and uses the default sound.  Strange, if I use the word minutes it uses the default sound.

I've never tried to specify an alarm in terms of time units (as opposed to a specific time of day), but the behavior you describe actually makes sense, even if it seems a little confusing at first.  Even though you're using the word "alarm" instead of "timer", by specifying an elapsed time from now a timer function is in fact what you're referring to.

stevepius

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 09:54:58 am »
Is there a way to increase the volume of the alarm?  I often set an alarm and then go watch TV, but have had a hard time actually hearing it over the TV even in the same room.

DParker

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 11:26:25 am »
Is there a way to increase the volume of the alarm?  I often set an alarm and then go watch TV, but have had a hard time actually hearing it over the TV even in the same room.

Yes, you can set volume for both timers and alarms in your Alexa/Echo app.  Just activate the menu and select "Timer and Alarms".  The rest is pretty self-explanatory.

Kyle76

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 11:53:05 am »
It seems crazy that you cannot change the timer sound. I need something that cuts through ambient noise. The default timer sound is not the best for this.

wolfy

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 06:32:36 pm »
Just adding my own voice - the default timer is totally not good when there is ambient noise or for someone who is hard of hearing. Please, Amazon, provide a way to update the timer sound. Thanks.

asianrocker

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 09:04:17 am »
I just got my Echo Dot 2nd Gen a couple days ago and I am having a lot of fun.  The only thing that is bothering me is I cannot get to default alarm sound to change.  I go into Settings - Sounds and notifications and then select, for example, Countertop. It plays on my Nexus 7 tablet. I back out of the menus until I am at the Home screen.  I tell it to Timer 1 minute, it replies, 1 minute starting now.  In 1 minute it plays the default sound.   What am I doing wrong?   Thanks for the help.

Lee

So this problem was from 2016. I bought my echo June 2017 and I actually had same problem that made me contact customer support which of course was no help. When I finally gave up on it and forgot about it. Guess what? MY chosen alarm sound finally worked. But yes, agree with all that was said here. You can't change timer sound which I don't like coz it's too standard. Ugh.

DroMike

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 05:49:21 pm »
Actually you CAN change the default sound.  In your Alexa app go to the 3-line menu to the left of "Home", open "Reminders &i Alarms," select "Alarms" from the three selections offered (Reminders/Alarms/Timers), and click just below that on the words, "Manage alarm volume and default sound."  From that drop down menu, you can select under "Custom Sounds," - Alarm.  THAT side menu offers you these choices (all sounds that you can preview):

Adrift
Clangy
Clarity
Countertop
Focus
Glimmer
Nightstand (the true ringy alarm sound you'd probably like)
[more/others....]:

HSettings/You have a choice of, e.g.,

Paul Milton-Lyons

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 08:17:54 am »
All the replies to this problem so far are assuming users don't know how to use the Alexa App on their iPad or iPhone. Alexa cannot change it's default alarm sound despite providing a selection of sounds to choose from. Selecting any sound of your choice just doesn't work. When will Amazon wake up to this and fix it?