Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot sleeping speakers problem

Pagemakers

Echo Dot sleeping speakers problem
« on: October 22, 2016, 11:58:08 am »
I've had a few Echos for several months now.

I've just purchased a few Dot to replace some echos because they can connect to my own speakers for superior sound quality.

Here lies the problem.... My speakers power down after a few minutes of inactivity. Problem is when you say "Alexa what's the weather" by the time the speakers auto-wake up you have missed Alexa's response!  There is no way to keep my speakers on.

Similar problem in the living room, unless I turn my hifi to the Dot input no sound is heard. Switching the input before you talk to it kind of defeats the point of an always on device.

Obviously these aren't Amazon's fault and I should have thought long and hard before thinking the Dot would be streets ahead of the Echo. It's a shame that the Dot couldn't pause until the speaker or Bluetooth connection is made.

Unless I can think of a workaround it looks like I'll have to send a couple of Dits back.

Offline jwlv

Re: Echo Dot sleeping speakers problem
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 03:32:14 pm »
Here's a workaround.
Every Echo device has the ability to play a sound at the start of a request. Just turn that option on in the Alexa app.
After that is done, when you start speaking to Alexa, just pause for a couple of seconds before you ask the question. The sound will probably wake up your speakers. You would ask something like this: "Alexa, (pause for 2 seconds) What is the weather today?"

Pagemakers

Re: Echo Dot sleeping speakers problem
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 04:01:32 pm »
Yea. I think that's all I can do.