Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Not exactly the same Dot

ganeyvim

Not exactly the same Dot
« on: October 20, 2016, 08:04:16 pm »
In a side by side comparison between Dots 1 & 2, the speaker volume on the new Dot 2 is not as loud.
So far, after a few tries, I also got the impression that the Mics on 2 are not as sensitive, since among other things, I have to repeat myself more often.
 I hope this is not a case of what you pay for is what you get.

Offline jwlv

Re: Not exactly the same Dot
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 08:15:44 pm »
I really hope that's not the case. But considering that the warranty for the Dot (gen 2) is now 90 days, instead of the original 1 year, it might just be inferior.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 11:36:54 pm »
Well, the new Dot was built to fit a lower price point for sure, so who knows.  I will want to stay informed here, as I want to buy a six pack ASAP for holiday gifts.  Meanwhile, my two originals may be getting more valuable on eBay as each day progresses, but I sure hope not.

joshsimpson79

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 11:39:51 pm »
So far I like the volume circle better than the buttons. But I enjoy the price point and look forward to getting a couple more eventually.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 04:57:12 am »
 received the new dot Thursday and the first thing I noticed was the shipping material. They put the dot in a brown padded envelope. The retail packing of the dot itself was cheap and flimsy. Far cry how the first dot was shipped. I wonder how much they saved. Now we know some of the cost cutting they did. Another was the shorter cable. and no audio cable.

No problems setting it up. Moved the echo to a room that does not have any bluetooth speakers and left the new white dot in the living room/kitchen/dining area. Okay, I live in an extremely small apartment :-) At least now I don't have a large black pringles can on the counter. The hockey puck looks more natural and I dont have to worry about knocking it over. Now I gotta figure out how to hang it on the wall and hide the black cable. Least they could have done was give white cables with the white dot.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 06:16:52 am »
I ordered a 6-pack (3 black and 3 white). My immediate impression when I opened the box to the Dot 2 is the same as yours. The packaging is just cheap. And the white Dot should come with a white cable and white charger. But they are both black.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 06:24:20 am »
Well, the new Dot was built to fit a lower price point for sure, so who knows.  I will want to stay informed here, as I want to buy a six pack ASAP for holiday gifts.  Meanwhile, my two originals may be getting more valuable on eBay as each day progresses, but I sure hope not.

I sold my Echo Dot for $200 on Ebay back in July. I figured with $200 I can buy 2 more Dots when they are back in stock.  I had no idea that the Dot 2 would be coming out at a lower price.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 02:28:29 pm »
Keep the info flowing folks.  The new Dot (if one buys a 6-pack, costs $41 each,) whereas the 1st Dot cost $89 if I recall, so basically the new one is half the cost of the old one.  Lots of cost-cutting room available. I think from what I have read here so far is the big cost cutting blow is the disappearance of the volume controlling light ring exchanged for buttons.  That part is likely a pricy component for Amazon, so no wonder why that was done.

How about more comments about the sound quality difference?  The sound of the 1st Dot was nothing to write home about. 
Also, the 1st Dot can get very hot on the bottom when playing through the audio out port for a while.  Does Dot2 run cooler?

joshsimpson79

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 04:11:03 pm »
Keep the info flowing folks.  The new Dot (if one buys a 6-pack, costs $41 each,) whereas the 1st Dot cost $89 if I recall, so basically the new one is half the cost of the old one.  Lots of cost-cutting room available. I think from what I have read here so far is the big cost cutting blow is the disappearance of the volume controlling light ring exchanged for buttons.  That part is likely a pricy component for Amazon, so no wonder why that was done.

How about more comments about the sound quality difference?  The sound of the 1st Dot was nothing to write home about. 
Also, the 1st Dot can get very hot on the bottom when playing through the audio out port for a while.  Does Dot2 run cooler?

I never really had a problem with the old one being too hot, but the second one for me is definitely cool. The volume  buttons are not as nice, but I do enjoy the price. It may just be my imagination, but it seems like Alexis voice sounds a little bit better for my home theater in generation one did.

NEODax

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 04:27:10 pm »
Hi folks, first post here. My new one just arrived in the mail today, and I just set it up. I moved my 1st Gen to the bedroom and put the new one in the living room. Does anyone know if I can have both of them play through the same bt speaker? I know it detects which dot is closer and uses that one to respond, but I have already encountered the problem of telling it to play music while in the hallway, and having it pick up and play from the tiny speaker in the bedroom, and not the loud bt speaker in the living room like I wanted. Any options besides giving the upstairs one a different trigger word?

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 11:15:17 pm »
maybe you don't have the ESP updates in all devices yet.

PatrickL

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 06:23:09 am »
Now I gotta figure out how to hang it on the wall and hide the black cable. Least they could have done was give white cables with the white dot.

If it helps I solved this problem when I found this 3D printer file (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1463045) which I had printed out locally (in the UK) for the princely sum of £6. It was designed for Gen 1 but works equally well for Gen 2 as a wall mount.

Photo here: http://www.thingiverse.com/make:261730
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 06:45:35 am by PatrickL »