Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa to control home tv system

swadhwani

Alexa to control home tv system
« on: October 18, 2016, 01:50:32 pm »
Hello Gurus,

So I (finally) placed order for Amazon Echo Dot and is expecting it to be deliver day after tomorrow. I am based in London and new to this world. I don't have any smart home device, but would like to start. Google suggests millions of things with lots of technical terms which is too difficult to follow / understand.

I am looking for some help to get me started. Here is what I would like to do

1) Controlling my TV and AV system

- I got LG smart Tv ( 47LM620T)
- A demon AV AVR-X2200W
- An Apple TV
- An Amazon fire Stick
- A projector

I would love Alexa to

- Control AV system ( change input, vol up/down etc. )
- Switch on/off TV

Now I understand I would need a Logitech Harmony remote and Yonomi app ( IF doesn't support in the U.K.)

Question :

- which harmony remote I need?
- any other cheaper alternative to achieve what I am after?

2) Controlling Lights

I got spot lights in my kitchen and Living rooms operated by single switch (one switch for Kitchen light and one for all living lights ). Naturally I don't wan to make all my spotlights to smart lights so I should change switch. How do I that I.n the U.K.? Which switch to buy? Also, I have 2 switches in a board.

Any thing else I can do which is not too expensive but fun?

Thanks

Mork74

Re: Alexa to control home tv system
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 02:06:12 am »
from what i read, you needed 2 hubs for tv, smartthings and a harmony hub.  remote not really required

i maybe wrong though

swadhwani

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 02:14:38 am »
Thanks. I did some more research and understand that I should be okay if I buy Harmony Campaign ( remote + hub) and use it with yonomi.

I don't need snarthub.

Unsure how would I connect my light switch. Any idea? Thank

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 04:32:39 am »

Yes Harmony Campaign can control the av system,light system you can use Wemo as lights's power supply controller,Hue is more perfect match to Campaign remote that have 4 direct button to control on/off and light up/down

AndyWilson

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 05:16:12 am »
You can't replace normal wall light switches with Smart Switches in the UK because of the way they're wired. LightwaveRF make a Smart Dimmer, but that doesn't work with the Echo without IFTTT (I don't know if Yonami will control it?)

swadhwani

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 05:34:04 am »
That's a bumer!  How people in the Uk are Controlling there lights with echo at the moment. Replacing all lights with smart light? That would be very expensive

Offline jwlv

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 12:42:58 pm »
Belkin doesn't make a Wemo Light Switch for UK, but you can get the regular Wemo Switch (or Wemo Insight Switch).  Currently sells for £47.50 on Amazon.co.uk

DParker

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 12:45:36 pm »
Belkin doesn't make a Wemo Light Switch for UK, but you can get the regular Wemo Switch (or Wemo Insight Switch).  Currently sells for £47.50 on Amazon.co.uk

Ouch.

Mork74

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 05:46:26 am »
the switch is £27  price went up to £100 yesterday as no stock and high demand.  one shop on amazon had and raised the price

mine arrives to day with dot, switch was £27

digisam

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 06:34:18 pm »
You can't replace normal wall light switches with Smart Switches in the UK because of the way they're wired. LightwaveRF make a Smart Dimmer, but that doesn't work with the Echo without IFTTT (I don't know if Yonami will control it?)

Luckily this is not true, you can replace wall switches (standard and dimmers) with smart switches. There are a few systems around and some brands use the same technology meaning you can mix products from different manufacturers. But they not the best idea for a beginner.

http://www.vesternet.com/smart-home/lighting/modules

The Harmony Smart Hub will control the TV and all your devices, but it will require something to "bridge" the Echo to the Harmony. Yonomi would be the easiest option for now. There are better solutions out there that bridge the two, but they do require a fair bit of technical knowledge. Remember that IFTTT is coming, so it might be better to wait.

It is worth thinking about what voice controlling your TV will give you. You usually use your thumb to control things, and it is easy to press press press. With voice commands you would have to say (hypothetically) "alexa, press tv button up", "alexa, press tv button up", "alexa, press tv button up". You will quickly be kissing the physical remote asking for its forgiveness :)

Yonomi can (for now) only fire up an activity in Harmony, which is very good in itself. You say "alexa turn on Movie Mode" and the harmony turns on the projector, the amp, the apple tv, switches the amp to the right input, dims the lights (if hue). Then say "alexa turn on Smart TV" and the projector turns off, the tv on, the amp off (or on and changes input) lights come up to 50%.

It takes time to master it, but if you are looking for a new hobby then it can be rewarding to engage smug mode when it all works :)

For lights, then Hue. It is great, the colours are super rich and there are a million apps and devices that work with it.

AndyWilson

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 09:26:20 am »

Luckily this is not true, you can replace wall switches (standard and dimmers) with smart switches. There are a few systems around and some brands use the same technology meaning you can mix products from different manufacturers. But they not the best idea for a beginner.

http://www.vesternet.com/smart-home/lighting/modules

As I said - you CAN'T replace standard UK light switches with "smart switches" - there's no power available when the light is switched off - the switch is just in series in the live circuit, there's no neutral.

If you look at one of the product pages you'll see it requires 3 wires which is very unusual in the UK.

http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-fibaro-single-switch-2-gen5

digisam

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 06:02:23 am »
Apologies are in order, as upon further research you are indeed correct about the switches.

http://www.vesternet.com/blog/2014/09/why-smart-switches-cant-be-used-without-neutral/

I was a little shocked to discover it and even unscrewed my wall switch to have a peep :)

So thanks for explaining it further.

Though whilst it is true that you can't do a straight swap for a smart switch, there are other options to enable smart lighting. You could have inline dimmers installed behind in the switch or in the ceiling, dimmable/switchable bayonet sockets and of course Hue or MiLight bulbs.