Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Connecting Dot & Turntable to One set of Powered Speakers

E

Connecting Dot & Turntable to One set of Powered Speakers
« on: October 17, 2016, 10:29:52 am »
Hi. I would like to connect my Echo Dot and a turntable, both 3.5mm male,  to powered speakers that only have one 3.5mm female connection. It seems that an A/B switcher box may be the only option. As long as their is not any noise and Dot's micro sensor array wouldn't go bonkers, I would prefer that both are connected all the time. Is there some other way besides a switcher box/manual switch?

Maff

Re: Connecting Dot & Turntable to One set of Powered Speakers
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 11:17:31 am »
Maybe just try something like this?

I use a similar setup with my chromecast & another input on my stereo.

Plus its cheap in case it doesn't quite work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000Q8HAVS/ref=cm_sw_r_taa_ZPobybAKBKPKP

I know that turntables have a different strength output so you might have to alter volume, but that's easy on the dot.. Worth a go?

DParker

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 11:52:51 am »
I'm assuming you have the turntable's dual RCA male plugs connected to a RCA->mini plug converter Y cable, correct?  If so, are your speakers internally amplified?  If not (ie, they're passive speakers) you're going to need an external amplifier of some sort.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 11:59:07 pm »
You really need to understand hifi stereo systems and turntable outputs better to understand what is happening.  First, the turntable output is derived directly from the phono cartridge, and it is not a FLAT frequency output, nor is its output strong enough to power amps or speakers.  You see, the turntable output must be processed by a preamp to make the turntable output equivalent to the Dot's output.

With a phono cartridge output, it is inserted into the phone input of a stereo amp, it passes through some circuitry that flattens the frequency bandwidth of the signal, now that it is flat, it needs to be amplified by the preamp to make the signal ready to be fed to the main amp that drives speakers. 

In the case of the Dot's output. it needs none of this; its signal is ready to go into the main stereo amp, and it is plugged into a higher-level AUX input.  The ONLY thing ever to be fed into the phono input of an amp is a low level phono cartridge signal.  Anything else must go in to high level inputs called, AUX in, CD in, Tape in, etc.

Bottom line is,  if you want to hear both a turntable and a Dot through a stereo system and speakers, then the:

Turntable must be plugged into the amp's phono in, and Dot must be in any of the high level inputs.  If your AUX input is already in use, then you need to select another, such as Tape in if not in use. 

If you don't have an amp (or receiver) to use, then you are SOL until you have one.

startreksteve

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 02:53:36 am »
I do this with my Record decks headphone output and the amp, sharing with a raspberry pi jukebox, works fine, you can even play both together if you want!