Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

I got burned, please help!

echouser007

I got burned, please help!
« on: June 26, 2015, 05:18:08 pm »
Is there a way to figure out the serial number of an Echo unit?

I purchased an echo unit without realizing that I must have the serial number to be able to register it under my account. I called amazon and they told me they need a serial number to lookup the account information and won't be able to do anything without it, and offered little help in how I can get this information other than from the box which I don't have.

Is there a way to get this information from the device itself? I did find the mac-address of the device but was told they can't lookup via that (but could for Kindle devices).

I find it hard to believe Amazon would manufacturer a device that is locked down by the serial number, and yet there's no way to find out the serial number from the device (to check if it's stolen or a normal unit) other than by the original owner.

I even asked Amazon if I can send the device back, so they can get the serial number and tell me if it's stolen or not. The rep basically just laughed at me.

Is there anything I can do? My gut feeling is there must be a way to get the serial number from the device. I figured out the device IP and HTTP port it is talking on, but didn't really get further beyond that... Please if you know something post or PM me. I hate to have a $150 paper weight.

Alternatively, is there a way to pair up the echo with a bluetooth device and use it as a bluetooth speaker if it can't be registered?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 05:27:18 pm by echouser007 »

Offline jwlv

Re: I got burned, please help!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 05:34:24 pm »
That is strange that you need to have the serial number. I have three Echos. I got one from the invitation. The other two were from Ebay.

I was able to register all of them to my one Prime account without any issues and without knowing the serial number. I just did it all through the app. After your Echo is set up, you can see the serial number from the Echo app. I don't know how to find the serial number without connecting it to the app.

First, you reset the Echo by pressing and holding the button at the top until the ring glows orange. Then from your iPhone/Android, connect to the Echo through Wifi. Start the Echo app, and the rest is done automatically.

echouser007

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 06:00:22 pm »
Thank you for the response.

The problem is that the echo is apparently still registered to the original owner's account, so the setup process errors out with "failed to register device", after connected to wifi. I tested this with both home wifi and my phone's tethering. Tried the reset step too, same error.

Amazon said they would need the serial number so they can make the appropriate changes on their end to register the device under my account (presumably with appropriate security check on whether it's reported stolen, etc, which I am hoping it's not).

But, looks like there's no way for me to get this serial number! I can't see a scenario where hiding this information would be useful. Won't it help track down who stole these items if it was stolen?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 06:50:32 pm »
I read on another site that, "There's a reset pinhole on the bottom of the Echo. Leave it plugged in and press a paperclip into the pinhole for 5 seconds. Restart the device the app is on. Then go through set up again."

echouser007

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 12:14:09 am »
I read on another site that, "There's a reset pinhole on the bottom of the Echo. Leave it plugged in and press a paperclip into the pinhole for 5 seconds. Restart the device the app is on. Then go through set up again."

Tried this again but no go. I waited until echo has signed on to my local network, then I did the 5 second reset, followed by restarting my phone. Tried running setup and again it failed registration.

I did manage to somehow get into the echo web app in offline mode. I see all the options, include setting, but nothing was showing as the right pane says echo is offline.

A pretty brain dead design decision IMHO. Not be able to find out the serial number makes it trivial to con unsuspecting buyers on the open market. There's no way for buyer to know whether you are buying a legit device or not. You can't even report this to the police because one have no 'proof' that the device is stolen.

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 01:49:23 am »
Is there a way to figure out the serial number of an Echo unit?
I even asked Amazon if I can send the device back, so they can get the serial number and tell me if it's stolen or not. The rep basically just laughed at me.

Is there anything I can do? My gut feeling is there must be a way to get the serial number from the device. I figured out the device IP and HTTP port it is talking on, but didn't really get further beyond that... Please if you know something post or PM me. I hate to have a $150 paper weight.

Is there any way you can contact the original owner and ask them to uninstall their Echo app? Maybe that's what's causing the problem. Two people are trying to register the same unit.
The rep mocking you or making light of your situation also needs to be dealt with as well. This is not a small issue. And, I agree-you shouldn't have to have a $150 paper weight just because the rep didn't take ownership of the issue and basically offered no help.

echouser007

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 02:32:42 am »
The seller is not responding to my TXTs anymore. I don't think he has the serial number as he said he doesn't have the box and this was his roommates. I think my desire to get the Echo got the better of me and I failed to notice the signs that should've told me to back out of the deal. ;) I don't think the seller started with the intent to con me (did list phone number and we met at his work), but once he realized the device may not work he disappeared.

So I think my best hope is to figure out the SN of the device some how and go from there. But it just feels so frustrating that Amazon would choose to hide this information on a device that's so locked down. This makes no sense.

I spoke with 3 amazon reps. The first 2 was helpful, but that's before the seller disappeared on me. 1st one suggested I contact the seller and ask them to remove the device from their account or give me the SN. After I failed to get that info from the seller, the 2nd rep told me if I have the owner's name/address, perhaps they can look it up. After failing to get this info from the seller, the 3rd rep basically told me they need the SN and can't do anything without it. This is when I offered to send the device in, and he said he doesn't even know how to respond to that (I guess I must've been the first idiot that suggested this idea haha).

My gut feeling is that Amazon would be able to retrieve this serial number from the device, but as an individual user, I am SOL.

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 09:37:57 am »
No! Don't lose hope yet. Ask to speak to a Supervisor. I'm sure that you're not the first person this has happened to and you won't be the last.  You said you had a phone number. Can you do a reverse lookup? Maybe that phone number is associated with the account. I know this sounds like stalking but have you thought of going to his work and speaking to him there?
I feel so bad for you.  At the end of the day-yes, it was your responsibility but I cannot believe Amazon is unwilling to do something. As you said-even sending it in. There will be instances where they will have to reset units and this sounds like one of them. They can sell it as an open box. Don't give up!

echouser007

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 02:02:05 pm »
Just an update. I was able to return it back to the seller and get a refund. Couldn't have asked for a better outcome.

Incidentally I saw an "Amzon Echo, buyer beware" post on craigslist.org warning people about the exact same thing: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/5095838725.html

If anyone have any connections to Amazon Echo PM/Devs, please forward a feature request for the end user to be able to find out the serial number of the device. Having the SN would allow one to find out whether the device is legit or not, and would be critical in preventing craigslist cons/abuse.

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 06:30:24 pm »
Awesome. Now you can take that $150, add two dead presidents and get yourself one from Amazon.  :)

echouser007

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 08:34:07 pm »
Even better. I got another one from Craigslist locally for $10 less, almost brand new with box and serial number and everything. Called amazon and verified the SN is good. The unit stopped working right after the seller de-registered it from his account (so that verified the unit is the right one as it can still be an stolen unit in a good box).

Just got it home and started playing around with it! Pretty cool. The kids love talking to it!

averyg

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 10:56:49 pm »
i am having the same issue. Guess I will have to do as you did and return it.

additude

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 11:43:38 am »
Try installing Fiddler4 or WireShark and see if you can capture the data strings sent back and forth.

They are both FREE and are pretty good at what they do, capturing post and get data to API's.

It's possible you can review the logs and requests in either program and see what the S/N is that is being posted from the Echo to the Amazon API.

Try Fiddler first, it's a bit more straight forward... then WireShark if you don't catch anything with Fiddler4.

Google them to find the websites to download.

dj_skully

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 11:59:59 am »
Try installing Fiddler4 or WireShark and see if you can capture the data strings sent back and forth.

They are both FREE and are pretty good at what they do, capturing post and get data to API's.

It's possible you can review the logs and requests in either program and see what the S/N is that is being posted from the Echo to the Amazon API.

Try Fiddler first, it's a bit more straight forward... then WireShark if you don't catch anything with Fiddler4.

Google them to find the websites to download.

Most of the traffic is encrypted. All you would really be able to see is DNS queries, and package updates, etc.

KHillski

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 12:22:43 am »
All of this conversation made me record all of my serial numbers. Not that I am going to part with my devices, but my heirs may not want to keep them.