Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

echo or dot with mobil hotspot

Danny_Hays

echo or dot with mobil hotspot
« on: October 16, 2016, 12:49:43 pm »
Hi ya'll. I'm new to this forum and have one of the new dots v2 coming in a week or two,, I hope. I've read that with the new version dot, or with a firmware update on first gen echos and dots that you can connect them to a phone's mobile hotspot, without the need for a wired connection first. Has anyone played with this feature? If so, will it reconnect automatically? What devices can I control with this setup, smartthings hub, any hub, anything? Thanz in advance. ;-)        Danny Hays  Orlando FL

DParker

Re: echo or dot with mobil hotspot
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 02:24:39 pm »
I don't know about the hot spot functionality, but as far as device control goes your connection setup and which Echo (or other device) you use doesn't matter.  Device control integration is handled by the cloud-based Alexa service, not the Echo/Dot/Tap/whatever.  So anything that alllws you to access Alexa will allow you to control your Alexa-integrated devices.  I occasionally even use fhe Lexa app on my phone to remotely control things in my home.

tjk

Re: echo or dot with mobil hotspot
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 05:56:46 pm »
I have a 1st Gen echo Dot that I connected to my iPhone hotspot while driving 'up north' for 4 hours.  Kids loved it and it worked without a problem.  I have not tried to have the phone be it's only internet connection though.  I also bought a pack of 6 2nd Gens, and I was thinking of setting one up full time in my car.