Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

does anyone have setup next to tv?

Mork74

does anyone have setup next to tv?
« on: October 10, 2016, 03:16:21 am »
just wondering how well would work if sat next to a tv?

my best position is next to the tv so can also hear from another room.  but would the tv cause too much interference?

strayfish

Re: does anyone have setup next to tv?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 04:12:43 am »
I tried that briefly but it didn't pick up my voice very easily. It did, however, answer something it heard on the TV with 'Gareth Southgate'!

My house is quite linear so it isn't easy to find a good place. Part of the answer is the little remote that allows me to operate it over greater distance and ambient noise, although it was a short while before I realised you have to hold the microphone button down while you speak because it's not an on/off switch.

Mork74

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 04:21:20 am »
yeah i may have to place further away just hope it means can pick up a voice in kitchen ok

strayfish

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 05:44:11 am »
Or get the remote. With the volume up, you can hear the answer well enough. Meanwhile, I have a Dot on order so I'll maybe pop back and let you know how that works out.

startreksteve

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 05:48:05 am »
Mine is about ten feet to the left of the TV, it sometimmes picks up speech from the TV. Especially Youtube videos featuring the Echo!

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 05:51:52 am »
just wondering how well would work if sat next to a tv?

my best position is next to the tv so can also hear from another room.  but would the tv cause too much interference?

forget what everyone is saying, your echo will work great next to the tv - as long as you don't turn it on.   Sorry, could not resist... It is like throwing rocks into the water, ripples will run into each other and be distorted. 

DParker

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 08:11:28 am »
My downstairs Echo is about 8'-10' from the TV and it still works fine.  Sometimes we have to speak up a bit depending on how loud the we're watching is, but it works.  In fact the only real problem that occurs is when Amazon airs commercials for the Echo/Dot (like they did last night) and mine responds.  Fortunately it didn't actually end up calling for a ride from Uber in spite of the guy on the commercial telling it to.