Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Privacy issues ?

Masterpop

Privacy issues ?
« on: September 30, 2016, 02:54:54 pm »
Here's an interesting one (I think). Day 2 with Alexa.
While looking through the app history (Settings-->History)  I notice some activity in the afternoon. "Oooohh" I think to myself, "maybe the wife tried it". I was quite impressed... then I realise what's actually happened::

Alexa recorded a snippet of a conversation between two parties in my house. Who the parties are, or what was said is irrelevant. The big question is : How did it happen?

I only picked it up because the entry in the history says "Text not available. Click to play recording."

Without being disrespectful, The two parties involved wouldn't have a clue what Alexa is or how to use it. So i am confident that it was triggered accidentally during normal conversation, and that somehow led to the 3-5second recording. You can clearly make out 2-3 sentences and recognise the people....

Thoughts and comments welcome...how was it even triggered?

mike27oct

Re: Privacy issues ?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 03:12:40 pm »
It got recorded because someone had activated Alexa to listen by saying her name on purpose or accidentally so what was said was recorded as all things spoken to Alexa are for good reasons.  So, when just talking about Alexa, and not directing her name to her, call it the Echo, and nothing will get recorded. BTW the entire History data can be totally deleted whenever you want via the app.

Masterpop

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 03:17:31 pm »
Thanks for your reply. I hadn't realised that every command was being recorded.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 09:48:10 pm »
yes, so you can check if alexa screws up.