Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Playing Locally Stored Music

tomartig

Playing Locally Stored Music
« on: September 30, 2016, 09:06:52 am »
I live in the country and use satellite internet with a limited data cap.  I would like to play the music I have stored on my local computer instead of streaming.  Every thing I see implies that Amazon wants me to use my data cap to upload all of my music to them and then use it again every time I want to listen to the song.  I am paying $150 per month right now for 30 gig and that is just not a feasible option.  Is there a way for Alex to play music off of my hard drive on my desktop PC say via Itunes or something?

smeg

Re: Playing Locally Stored Music
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 11:02:10 am »
Stream to echo via Bluetooth possibly.

Masterpop

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 01:53:19 pm »
I agree this would be a cool thing. Perhaps Synology, etc will develop a skill to operate their NAS... for the purpose of playing locally stored music for example...

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 03:03:49 pm »
This is all very easy to do and use.

Situation 1:  If you have music files ON your mobile device (phone or Pad) you connect the device and Echo's Bluetooth (BT) together.  When connected, you start playing iTunes music on device app, and instead of sound coming out the device's speaker it will come from Echo speaker.

Situation 2:  Requires a home network be setup and working.  Setup properly, an app on iOS device that can access your home network will be able to access your media server device (such as a computer, shared drive, NAS, etc) can be accessed e.g. by Phone and play the music stored on the remote device on phone.  From playing on the phone to Echo requires the two to be connected via BT as described abov.

Basically, if your phone/pad can play music on it from any source, it can play it to Echo via BT.

Situation 3:  You can also play directly from computer to Echo via BT.  Turn on BT of computer, locate the Echo device within the computer BT program, pair the two, and start playing music from computer to Echo!

Situation 4:  There is one app for iOS I know of and sometimes use, that does not need a home network setup completely.  It detects all the media server devices (via DLNA) on your current network that are turned on and allows you to access it and its folders and beam/fling/cast the music to your phone/tablet, and TV.  Your computer will be detected since it is a media server device (at least a Window PC is; not sure about Macs).  I would suggest not trying this setup initiall -- the other methods above are easier to use for a novice.  The free app is at the App store and is called Belkin MediaPlay.

Using any of these methods ,I can play music from any device or drive in my home to any device I want to, incl. Echo, phone/tablet, BT speaker, TV, etc., etc.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:06:07 pm by mike27oct »

jer78

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 02:27:17 pm »
I just setup my Echo with iTunes and my Airplay speakers and it works great. The way I figured out how to do it was by running Home Assistant. https://home-assistant.io/

The command examples I've set up are:
"Turn on the bedroom AirPlay"
"Turn on the Smooth Jazz Tunes"
"Turn off iTunes"
etc.

To do this, you have to setup Home Assistant and an iTunes API on the same computer. If you're interested I can show you the config you'll need. I'll be honest, it's a little bit of a learning curve to get you going, but you'll probably find other gems using Home Assistant that will make it worth your while!

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 08:54:27 pm »
Are AirPlay speakers Bluetooth speakers?  If so, why not just use BT?

Offline kevb

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 08:02:35 am »
Airplay is WiFi.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:07:47 am by kevb »

jer78

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 01:48:48 pm »
The problem with Bluetooth speakers are they don't do whole home audio. If you have a music server like iTunes and a few airport speakers / airport expresses to turn your speakers into airplay you can do it nicely. A Sonos system is probably the best option but airplay is what I invested in quite a few years ago and it works.

The problem becomes when you want to introduce voice controls like Siri or an Amazon Echo. This is where you need to run some middleware like home Assistant as described above. It is a hack, but does work.

Scarpad

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 01:58:16 pm »
there is a skill for echo if you use J. River Media Center

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 05:38:27 pm »
>>>  A Sonos system is probably the best option but airplay is what I invested in quite a few years ago and it works.

Perhaps not, because from what I know about Sonos it uses DLNA to send music, and I believe Apple mostly uses Samba shares which send tracks in track order whereas DLNA tracks are sent in alpha order.  Therefore, your Airplay may be better as albums are in track order.

jer78

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 12:45:22 pm »
>>>  A Sonos system is probably the best option but airplay is what I invested in quite a few years ago and it works.

Perhaps not, because from what I know about Sonos it uses DLNA to send music, and I believe Apple mostly uses Samba shares which send tracks in track order whereas DLNA tracks are sent in alpha order.  Therefore, your Airplay may be better as albums are in track order.

Interesting...the one thing I like about Sonos is they have kept up with partnerships and whole home audio. Apple has basically left AirPlay in the dust for the last few years. You'd think they would have integrated it with HomeKit. I still hope they will in the near future but it's not looking hopeful. If I'm on my WiFi at home, why could Siri not control my Remote app instead of my iOS device? I don't want to hear my music on my phone when I can hear it on my stereo. I've been able to get it sort of working with Homebridge hacks but it's not the same as having official support. Sonos at least has some good partnerships going for integration into other home hubs.

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 02:11:14 pm »
All I can add is that I do not need Sonos or Airplay or any other similar assistant to send music to most anything in my home.  Since I have no desire for "whole home synced coverage", I can listen to music (stored on drives in the past and) for over a year, now on my home server NAS, to Echos, Dots and Taps, as well on to phones, tablets, BT speakers/headphones, and most especially on the home stereo.

johnwillow

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 09:06:27 am »
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but wanted to let you know i've come across an Alexa skill called 'My Media' which lets you stream your locally stored music straight to an Echo device.  I've been trying it for a few days and so far it's working pretty well.  I can say "Alexa, ask my media to play some classical music" and it will stream it straight from my computer.  more info at http://www.mymediaalexa.com if you're interested.

mike27oct

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 12:28:53 pm »
Thanks for the reminder.  Someone else mentioned this within the past month, and I have been intending to try it. 

Meanwhile, I have been using an iOS (only) app on my iPad called Music Streamer.  Info at www.stratospherix.com. It is very feature-rich and the perfect app for larger music collections; I love it.  It can even send music to a Google Home via Chrome-casting as well as via BT to Alexa devices.

jdeacon

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 06:40:00 am »
Thanks indeed. I've just installed it (MyMedia) on a Windows 10 PC and tried it out. It seems to do exactly what it says; and, so far, I'm impressed.

It's a lot more convenient than keeping my phone up to date with my music and BTing from that.