Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

How To turn on Echo Music Library with Smart THings Motions Sensor?

tmyc

I would like to have my Echo Dot turn on a particular music library when my Samsung Smart Things Motion Sensor is triggered when I get in the door at home. I'm pretty sure this can be done, but I'm clueless. The Dot is connected to my Creative Roar Pro. Can anyone direct me to where I can get this answered. 

DParker

Re: How To turn on Echo Music Library with Smart THings Motions Sensor?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 10:21:24 pm »
I would like to have my Echo Dot turn on a particular music library when my Samsung Smart Things Motion Sensor is triggered when I get in the door at home.  I'm pretty sure this can be done, but I'm clueless. The Dot is connected to my Creative Roar Pro. Can anyone direct me to where I can get this answered.

Why are you "pretty sure" it can be done?  The only ways to have your Dot play music are:

1) Verbally tell it to.
2) Use the Alexa app to initiate music play from one of the services you subscribe to.
3) Have another device play your music and direct it to your Dot via a Bluetooth connection.

At this time there is no supported public API that an external entity like SmartThings can use to instruct Alexa devices to initiate playback from your audio streaming services.

Yoda_One

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 11:11:52 am »
+1

tmyc

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 04:37:33 pm »
I don't know if it can be done. I'm asking for suggestions on how one can do this.

Yoda_One

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 04:46:49 pm »
You asked and it was answered.

Offline kevb

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 06:03:41 pm »
I don't have a smartthings hub, but can it give custom voice notifications? i.e., door sensor is triggered, a notification is sent (either directly or through a device near the dot) saying aloud "Alexa, play {entry music}"

DParker

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 07:24:12 pm »
I don't have a smartthings hub, but can it give custom voice notifications? i.e., door sensor is triggered, a notification is sent (either directly or through a device near the dot) saying aloud "Alexa, play {entry music}"

It can, but only to WiFi-connected devices with an API that supports that functionality, which Alexa does not (yet).  It could also be done via a Bluetooth connection...if ST would ever get around to making use of the BT transceiver built into the v2 hub (which they haven't).

Offline kevb

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 03:46:25 pm »
I set up a scene on my Vera Plus controller so that when a specific switch was turned on, a TTS notification was sent to an app I had installed on an old android phone. The phone was placed next to an Echo. When the switch was turned on, the phone said aloud:"Echo, play WCCO", and the Echo did. In principle, this should work as the OP would like, but as I don't have a smartthings hub I'm not sure.