Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Can Alexa control built-in speakers in different rooms

Ichthydoc

Can Alexa control built-in speakers in different rooms
« on: September 12, 2016, 10:01:08 am »
Just got an Alexa/Echo, and am wondering if it can be set up to control an existing speaker network.  We have built-in speakers in 3 rooms and back porch, run by an insanely cumbersome and convoluted Bose controller/system.  Are devices available that can be used to channel music from Alexa to a specific room?  I assume the device for each speaker pair would need to include an interface with Alexa and an amplifier to drive the speakers.  It would be nice to tell Alexa to play some Jimmy Buffett on the back porch while we have a burial ceremony for the Bose.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

DParker

Re: Can Alexa control built-in speakers in different rooms
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 11:15:13 am »
Just got an Alexa/Echo, and am wondering if it can be set up to control an existing speaker network.  We have built-in speakers in 3 rooms and back porch, run by an insanely cumbersome and convoluted Bose controller/system.  Are devices available that can be used to channel music from Alexa to a specific room?  I assume the device for each speaker pair would need to include an interface with Alexa and an amplifier to drive the speakers.  It would be nice to tell Alexa to play some Jimmy Buffett on the back porch while we have a burial ceremony for the Bose.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Unfortunately the Echo cannot redirect audio to any external device/system.  For that you'd need one of its sister products, the Dot.  That is, if Amazon was still selling them (it isn't)...or if you can find one on eBay and can stomach the ridiculously inflated prices being asked for them.

Yoda_One

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 03:44:39 pm »
On my porch I use an old Note2 which I BT to speakers system, sometimes I send Prime Playlists or Prime Music from my Fire TV in the Bedroom to the Porch.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 03:47:42 pm by Yoda_One »

DMathews68

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 09:31:48 pm »
I don't think the echo or dot will replace your Bose system but the dot may be able to make it easier.   I am not an expert in the "dot world" but I ordered one with the intent of using it with my multi zone receiver. What is the model of the system you have? Maybe the dot and some home automation can make it easier to use.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 11:53:22 pm »
Echo Dot was re-introduced last week at a new, lower price.  Amazon is now selling them in six-packs now for multiple rooms.  Many of us have a Dot hooked to our stereos' audio in.  It would seem rather simple to do same with a Bose system as long as it has aux or audio in.

Ichthydoc

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 08:55:06 am »
Thanks for the advice...I'll look closely at the Dot, and report back if it can indeed drive this system.