Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

How to determine current volume setting

KelloggKid

How to determine current volume setting
« on: September 09, 2016, 03:53:08 pm »
I'm new to the Echo/Alexa and very impressed.  I do have a question however that I can't seem to find the answer to.  I know that I can ask Alexa to change the volume to a percentage level by giving it a number between 1 and 10.  For example "Alexa set volume to 6". 

What I haven't been able to find out is how can I tell what the current volume level might be.  Is there a command that will cause Alexa to to reveal the current volume level setting?

DParker

Re: How to determine current volume setting
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 04:55:08 pm »
I'm new to the Echo/Alexa and very impressed.  I do have a question however that I can't seem to find the answer to.  I know that I can ask Alexa to change the volume to a percentage level by giving it a number between 1 and 10.  For example "Alexa set volume to 6". 

What I haven't been able to find out is how can I tell what the current volume level might be.  Is there a command that will cause Alexa to to reveal the current volume level setting?

"Alexa, play Stranglehold by Ted Nugent."

You'll find out your volume setting pretty quickly.  ;)

Yoda_One

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 08:55:04 pm »
[emoji38]

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 11:33:12 pm »
My "solution" is to tell Alexa to set volume level 4 while it is playing. This will not blow out your ears, but loud enough to tell.  I will know then if the volume was higher or lower.  My usual volume level is 4, 5, maybe sometimes 6.  It often depends upon the TuneIn station playing or if we are further away than usual.

Anyway, you will figure it out in a short time.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 12:43:15 am »

I guess there is not a way to find out what the volume is without setting it yourself.  There are too many ways to control it including via remote control, ring at the top and voice.  See the following for what you can do

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201619520

BUGLEBOB

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 04:49:47 pm »
You may not be able to get a actual number setting but slightly turn the ring on top and you will tell by the lights whether it's at 50% (5) 100% (10) or in between.

Hope this helps

Snapper

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 01:53:19 pm »
You can look at the Alexa app. Look at Music & Books. In the bottom right corner is the speaker symbol. Touch that and it will slow you a slider with the volume level.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 02:00:55 pm by Snapper »

KelloggKid

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 02:20:02 pm »
You can look at the Alexa app. Look at Music & Books. In the bottom right corner is the speaker symbol. Touch that and it will slow you a slider with the volume level.

Thank you.  I had not yet discovered the slider.

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 02:45:14 pm »
Great reply; thanks for the comment.  I had forgotten about using the app for volume control, so I just now played with this feature again.  I started a TuneIn station from my list of Favorite stations in the TuneIn section of  app.  I had the volume level display.  I told Alexa "volume up one", volume went up and slider on app moved a notch up, tried volume down, and slider moved back to previous position.  Told Alexa "volume zero" and slider was at bottom, then told it go to volume level I wanted which was "volume level 3".  Move slider with finger and the volume level changes and displays a number; just tap slider to see the volume level number.  Very handy for a visual indication of volume level and for controlling it from a distance and without out any verbal command. Play with it and find other things you can do in here.