Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

timers with labeling

rocket888

timers with labeling
« on: August 10, 2016, 07:19:12 pm »
Is there a way to tell alexa to start a timer and when it goes off to announce a phrase so I can tell which timer went off (especially if I have more than one timer).

I have a poor memory (getting old) and so I for example, can I do something like this:

Alexa, set a 15 minute timer for cooking

and then at 15 minutes, instead of (or in addition to) the simple alarm sound, could it say, your "cooking" timer is done.

If there's nothing in the amazon program, might there be a skill that would have this ability. It's pretty frustrating when the alarm goes off and I can't remember what I set it for (and this will only get worse as I age).

DParker

Re: timers with labeling
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 08:24:08 pm »
The Echo currently has no such ability, nor have I found any skill that has it.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 05:36:40 am »
are they not already label by using the number of minutes the timer was set for? 

rocket888

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 02:55:35 pm »
are they not already label by using the number of minutes the timer was set for?

While the alarm is going off, if I ask for a "timer status" (my shorthand) it says only that a timer is being delivered, but will not tell me how long that timer was set for. Only going to the alexa app can I find how long the timer was for, and because my alexa app tends to hang the second time my phone wakes up, I have to reboot the phone to be able to use the app. If the timer is still going, it only tells me the time left on the timer, not the length. If on delivery, it would speak the timer length along with the alarm, that would help.

What I've done instead to get more info, is to set a 24 hour timer (the max), so there are always more than one. Then when asking for a status, it will tell me about all my timers, with original length and time left, in order of next delivery.  But that's annoying, since 24 hours later I get a timer going off which I don't know what it is for. So, I have to keep cancelling the 24 hour timer and starting a new one every so often. I'd also like to have a repeating timer for say, "time to take meds" and have it tell me that.

Seems like an obvious feature to implement, hopefully Amazon is listening.

smeg

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 05:43:55 pm »
Along pretty much the same lines......... I am hoping they implement a "Reminders" type thing. I find it super useful on my iphone. Its great to be able to just say "Remind me at 9pm to get my work stuff ready" or "Remind me September 12 at 5pm to put tick medicine on the pups." or "Remind me in 15 minutes to take the stuff out of the oven."

I think the Echo and the other products coming out should first and foremost be personal assistants. I shouldn't need a calendar because a personal assistant should TELL me what is going on today, any and as many times as i want throughout the day. A personal assistant should remind me of things throughout the day unprovoked by me. I know this kinda sounds bad but I shouldn't have to actually remember anything.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 05:48:14 pm by smeg »

Yoda_One

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 07:39:12 pm »
Hire a secretary.[emoji38]

Offline jwlv

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 05:59:24 pm »
Alexa is my secretary. She takes down my shopping list, calendar, timers & alarms, and looks up information so that I don't have to do it myself.

Hire a secretary.[emoji38]

Yoda_One

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 08:39:06 pm »
^+1
I also use it as designed.

scapel

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 08:24:01 am »
Hello: I am brand new to Echo and brand new to this forum. Not sure if this is even the place to ask this question. Just got the Echo and was wondering if there was a place where I could go to see which songs I have loaded on it. I finally figured out that it seemed better to Bluetooth and play with my ipad or iphone than with the echo. Haven't started into setting timers as I have a timer in the kitchen for cooking.
Still go around and turn off lights by the switch. Didn't know I could possibly configure it to turn off all the lights at once. If ALEXA starts not recognizing my commands, I will be done with it.

DParker

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 08:41:03 am »
Hello: I am brand new to Echo and brand new to this forum.

Welcome.

Not sure if this is even the place to ask this question.

It's better to start a new thread for your question rather than post it in an existing thread that is about an unrelated issue, but let's see what you've got.

Just got the Echo and was wondering if there was a place where I could go to see which songs I have loaded on it.

You don't have any songs "loaded on" your Echo.  It streams music (and other audio content) from internet sources like your Prime account (if you have one), Pandora, iHeart Radio and a few others.

I finally figured out that it seemed better to Bluetooth and play with my ipad or iphone than with the echo.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

Haven't started into setting timers as I have a timer in the kitchen for cooking.

Where your Echo will come in handy there will be those cases where you don't have a free hand to set the timer manually, or otherwise just don't want to stop what you're doing to set one.  I use that feature a lot.

Still go around and turn off lights by the switch. Didn't know I could possibly configure it to turn off all the lights at once.

Controlling lights, ceiling fans and other items in my home via voice command is currently the #1 use to which my two Echos are put.

If ALEXA starts not recognizing my commands, I will be done with it.

Well, alrighty then.

Yoda_One

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 02:54:23 pm »
@DParker Good One, I enjoyed your replies and completely agree with you.

Yoda_One

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 02:57:01 pm »
Hello: I am brand new to Echo and brand new to this forum. Not sure if this is even the place to ask this question. Just got the Echo and was wondering if there was a place where I could go to see which songs I have loaded on it. I finally figured out that it seemed better to Bluetooth and play with my ipad or iphone than with the echo. Haven't started into setting timers as I have a timer in the kitchen for cooking.
Still go around and turn off lights by the switch. Didn't know I could possibly configure it to turn off all the lights at once. If ALEXA starts not recognizing my commands, I will be done with it.
I will give you $20.00 for your Echo and I will pay the shipping.
:wink: ::)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 03:00:45 pm by Yoda_One »

DParker

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 03:41:10 pm »

I'll pay $21 + shipping...and I'll buy you a beer!!!   ;D

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 05:29:54 pm »

I'll pay $21 + shipping...and I'll buy you a beer!!!   ;D

I'll give $22 + shipping and two root beers  :-)

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 05:32:48 pm »

It really depends as to why you originally purchased the echo and how much you are willing to spend for the extras in order to command your lights, thermostats and more. 

For most, it would be better to use the ipad and iphone if you want to stream through an existing speaker system if you only have the echo.  If you are having trouble with commands, you need to post what commands you are having problems with and tell what exactly you are saying.  maybe someone here can help.