Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo won't wake up with voice command

Twiz

Echo won't wake up with voice command
« on: July 20, 2016, 07:51:41 am »
Have had Echo for just about 1 week and like it BUT every once in a while the unit won't wake up (no blue rotating light) to "Alexa." It's happened with music playing loud and low and with no music or any other background noise, talking, etc.

It's happened when I call out "Alexa" from an adjacent room or standing a couple of feet from her. Changing the tone or loudness of the command doesn't help or even having a different person trying to activate. Nothing happens, just as if Echo was unplugged. Trying again in 5 minutes or so then works .. so far 100% of the time!

I've spoken with Echo tech service. Not much help so far. Soft reboots (unplugging) have been done. No fix. Keeps happening off and on.

Anyone out experiencing anything similar? Any recommended fix? Or, do I have a defective Echo. All thoughts and comments appreciated.

Yoda_One

Re: Echo won't wake up with voice command
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 10:30:21 am »
It can be temperamental it a woman. :Smile2:  Just sometimes it does not understand you, the wifi signal could be weak or heavy use in your Intranet or trouble at AWS.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 12:39:19 pm by Yoda_One »

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 04:04:20 pm »
Try going through the voice training exercise recommended by Amazon.

Elvisboy77

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 09:56:42 am »
Voice training made a huge difference in my Echo Dot responding to me!

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 05:03:35 pm »
Have had Echo for just about 1 week and like it BUT every once in a while the unit won't wake up (no blue rotating light) to "Alexa." It's happened with music playing loud and low and with no music or any other background noise, talking, etc.

It's happened when I call out "Alexa" from an adjacent room or standing a couple of feet from her. Changing the tone or loudness of the command doesn't help or even having a different person trying to activate. Nothing happens, just as if Echo was unplugged. Trying again in 5 minutes or so then works .. so far 100% of the time!

I've spoken with Echo tech service. Not much help so far. Soft reboots (unplugging) have been done. No fix. Keeps happening off and on.

Anyone out experiencing anything similar? Any recommended fix? Or, do I have a defective Echo. All thoughts and comments appreciated.

what about the echo location?  is it up against a wall or out in the open so all microphones can hear? 

In2survive

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 07:54:52 pm »
I have the same issue. Every once in a while she just doesn't wake up. At first I thought she was unplugged, but when you hit any button the lights come on, still no reply... then I unplug and plug back in to power and it will work again.
It is on my desk, not close to the wall and 5m from wifi router (no walls in between). Very strange.
PS: I noticed it last happened after a “drop in”. I will try a drop in later to see if that causes the issue again.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 08:05:00 pm by In2survive »

Lngbmb80

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 04:15:49 pm »
I am having the same issue.  Got one Christmas, had an issue with that one so I returned it.  Now having the same issue with the new one