Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo powered by external battery

tedya

Echo powered by external battery
« on: July 18, 2016, 05:51:41 pm »
I searched but couldn't find anything. So, just got my echo. Love it so far. I see there are battery bases you can buy to make the Echo more portable. This begs the question. Has anyone discovered a USB power cable with the end that plugs into the Echo? What I want to do is plug in the USB cable into the Echo and then the USB end into an external battery. Anyone found a cable like this?

Offline kevb

Re: Echo powered by external battery
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 06:40:52 pm »
Did you try a search for Amazon Echo Battery? There are a few available, some from Amazon. I've never used one, so I can't comment on them.

Yoda_One

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:01:19 pm by Yoda_One »

tedya

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 07:01:22 pm »
Am looking for a USB cable that has on one end, the plug for the Echo, and on the other end a USB plug. That way you could plug the Echo into any external battery and you would not have to buy a battery base.

tedya

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 07:03:25 pm »
Not sure  what you are looking for,.......
Mini USB to Mini USB?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ime_c_1_17?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mini+usb+to+mini+usb&sprefix=undefined%2Caps%2C166

Yoda_One, those cables in your link wouldn't work because the Echo does not have a Micro USB plug.  It has that round one like the old Nokia phones did. Know what I mean?

Yoda_One

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 07:15:15 pm »
If you are that interested you could make one by splicing into the power wire with a quick disconnect for battery or power. For me it would be over kill since for $50.00 you can buy a battery pack for Echo.
https://www.amazon.com/YutaoZ-Charging-Cradle-Specially-Echo/dp/B01CNEFONI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1468883564&sr=8-4&keywords=echo+battery+base

I would and did just buy a Tap it was only $73.00 on Prime day.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:18:22 pm by Yoda_One »

DParker

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 07:17:55 pm »
Yoda_One, those cables in your link wouldn't work because the Echo does not have a Micro USB plug.  It has that round one like the old Nokia phones did. Know what I mean?

They won't work because the Echo doesn't use a USB power supply.  The plug you're referring to is a barrel jack.  But while USB<->barrel jack adapters do exist, the Echo's AC adapter is a 15V, 1.4A supply, so plugging into a normal USB power supply isn't going to work.

Yoda_One

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 07:20:13 pm »
I understood that see my post above about the way to design a specialized cable. I was trying to understand the battery connection he needed  and then he could buy another power unit for Echo then make a quick connect/disconnect using  RC connectors male/female plugs.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:38:46 pm by Yoda_One »

DParker

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 07:23:11 pm »
I understood that see my post above.

Was that intended for anyone in particular?

Yoda_One

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 07:29:40 pm »
I was not finished with the editing when you commented. It would be something I would make if I thought it would useful. I just can not see any advantage. Sorry, @DParker  I was still brainstorming.
I could not get my mind around the external batterypack setup.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:43:50 pm by Yoda_One »

Yoda_One

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 07:40:30 pm »
Are we good.😇

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 08:56:47 pm by Yoda_One »

DParker

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 07:42:47 pm »
Are we good.😇

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

No worries.  I was just having a difficult time figuring out who your post was addressed to.

tedya

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 11:54:01 am »
OK, maybe I was making an assumption that the battery bases for the Echo were nothing more than a battery pack with a "barrel" plug that fits into the Echo. I was assuming that with the right cable, I could plug into one of my battery packs and essentially have the same thing.

vegasguy

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 04:11:46 pm »
As DParker pointed out, the echo needs to be supplied with 15 volts at 1.4 amps. As far as I know, there are no Usb power banks that can supply that voltage. And even if you were able to step up the voltage, it would be difficult to get 1.4 amps out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk