Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Delay with routines running and other issues when using Alexa app

Hello,

I've set up a few routines that mainly work well but I've noticed a delay (sometimes quite long) and I'm wondering if they might be solved by using a "proper Alexa" rather than just the app?

I am using NFC stickers, Macrodroid and Voicemonkey to trigger a routine to adjust the dim level of some lights.

When I use my phone and NFC to trigger the routine, if the App is on the screen at the time (or whenever I change so the app is on the screen) then the routine triggers immediately.

If the app is not on the screen (open but in the background) then it may take much longer to trigger, sometimes almost immediately and often to the point where I can believe it hasn't worked/will never work.

If I then look at the Alexa app, the routine runs straight away.

I thought perhaps buying a physical Alexa device might fix this or perhaps some tweak of the Android settings to make the app not "sleep"? Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? I don't really want an Alexa but will happily do so if it makes the whole experience robust.

Thanks so much for reading!

Re: Delay with routines running and other issues when using Alexa app
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 08:05:25 am »
Really depends on what the routine is for.   I think you will have a delay no matter what you do,

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 12:27:01 pm »
what kind of delay would you say I should expect?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 02:13:48 pm »
That's the nature of apps on any smartphone, Android or IOS. When an app is in the background, it goes to sleep mode to save power. When an app is in sleep mode, it does not activate right away when something demands its attention. Nothing you can do about it because it's controlled by the operating system.