Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot 5th gen freezes at command

Echo Dot 5th gen freezes at command
« on: November 20, 2023, 11:22:54 pm »
My bedroom Echo Dot with Clock (5th gen) will...at least once per day....freeze when I give a command...for example, If I say "Alexa, bedroom light on"  or "Alexa, play XYZ" (where XYZ is a radio station or whatever)

The blue light will come on....and just hang....for up to a minute or more....in the meantime, I can either remain silent, repeat the command, or give the "Alexa, Stop" command, to no avail....

After a minute or so, the blue light will disappear, and if I repeat the original command, all is fine...

Again, this happens pretty much daily at least once.

I've rebooted the unit a number of times....doesn't seem to make any difference.

As far as I can tell, it is the only unit exhibiting this....it's also the only 5th gen unit I have.

Anyone else have this issue?

Re: Echo Dot 5th gen freezes at command
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 04:17:53 am »
when you reboot, do you unplug it for at least 40 seconds?   Also, try power cycling your router.   

Offline AlanH

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 12:33:53 pm »
Running the latest firmware? "Alexa, check for update."

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 05:47:14 pm »
Thanks for responding.....yes, I usually wait about a minute with it unplugged.  I don't normally recycle the router....but tried that after your reply....still happened.

And yes...I checked the firmware.....

It's just odd because it doesn't happen every time.....it's usually once a day for sure, sometimes twice...and once it does it, and the light goes back out, then everything is fine....

I might just end up moving that one to a different location and bringing one of the gen 4 dots back into the bedroom.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 12:55:28 am »
I've had that happen frequently, not on an Echo Dot, but on my Echo Auto. I've always chalked it up to a bad connection, either from the Echo Auto to my iPhone or from my iPhone to the cell tower. Same as you, it would clear itself up after a minute.

I have several Echo Dots and Dots with clock. It's never happened on my Dots. But I have very good WiFi throughout my house with many Google WiFi mesh network nodes.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2023, 03:48:04 am »
Thanks for responding.....yes, I usually wait about a minute with it unplugged.  I don't normally recycle the router....but tried that after your reply....still happened.

And yes...I checked the firmware.....

It's just odd because it doesn't happen every time.....it's usually once a day for sure, sometimes twice...and once it does it, and the light goes back out, then everything is fine....

I might just end up moving that one to a different location and bringing one of the gen 4 dots back into the bedroom.

moving to a different location could help.   Maybe for a test, move it to the same room as the router to make sure there is not a signal issue or swap it with another device that is not having problems