Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

False trigger

False trigger
« on: October 24, 2023, 02:53:11 am »
Hi there!

I am French, my first name is Xavier, and by extension, one of my nicknames is Xav.
When my wife wants to speed me up, she tells me "Come on Xav", which in French is "Allez Xav".
And obviously, it's so similar with "Alexa" that Alexa asks what my wife wants…  ;)
And our first son's first name is Axel, which also sometimes triggers Alexa…  ;)

Could you tell me if there is a way to avoid those false triggers?
Can we teach Alexa not to react under those circumstances?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Xavier

Re: False trigger
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 07:27:35 am »
see if a different wake name is available.   that is all you can do.   

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 09:30:01 am »
I didn't know it was possible, and it is a great feature indeed.
Sadly enough, it is not available for my Polk React soundbar (at least from the Alexa app, I will try with the voice command later today)

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 11:01:03 am »
I actually use the very same soundbar so you are right, you will not be able to change the wake name on it either through the app or via voice.   

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 05:48:53 pm »
Alexa has other names that you can use to get its attention. You can change the wake word in the app.

"Alexa" is the default wake word. Other wake words are: Echo, Computer, Ziggy, Amazon.

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 04:10:08 am »
Alexa has other names that you can use to get its attention. You can change the wake word in the app.

"Alexa" is the default wake word. Other wake words are: Echo, Computer, Ziggy, Amazon.

Yes, you are right, but only for official Amazon devices.
For other devices that use Alexa API, that is not a straight rule, which is sad…  :(