Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

subscription model coming???

subscription model coming???
« on: October 19, 2023, 04:18:45 am »
the outgoing Senior Vice President of Devices at Amazon, David Limp, also believes a subscription model is coming to Alexa

I will leave alexa in a heartbeat if they go to a subscription model.  Maybe I need to start
 checking into Mycroft.   

https://www.androidpolice.com/amazon-alexa-was-always-useless/

Re: subscription model coming???
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 07:31:23 am »
I can see it happening and am surprised it hasn't yet.
However I too will be moving away.
 I left IFTTT for the same reason but it seems enough users bit the bullet to make thier decision work. ( so far)
There are enough free voice activation options out there that you don't need to pay for one.

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 02:28:51 pm »
This could be a blessing for me. I am still tied up with a divorced wife's account that I used for my home automation and amazon makes it very hard to transfer everything to a different account. A good reason to start the project from scratch while most of my HW investment remains viable with other integration providers.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 08:30:22 pm »
I (and many others) already have alternatives in my house. If it's gonna cost me to use a digital assistant I can live without it completely even... Yeah... I've got a lot of money tied up in it over the last several years, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it all crashed down. It was a fun experience. I learned a lit, and now have more knowledge to draw from to make decisions in the future, if I need to or have to go back to a Digital assistant.

I don't really see this coming to fruition simply due to the Loss of marketing potential on Amazon's part... at least not for a while. But It is a distinct possibility with all freebies.

the outgoing Senior Vice President of Devices at Amazon, David Limp, also believes a subscription model is coming to Alexa

I will leave alexa in a heartbeat if they go to a subscription model.  Maybe I need to start
 checking into Mycroft.   

https://www.androidpolice.com/amazon-alexa-was-always-useless/
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 03:57:00 am »
I can see it happening and am surprised it hasn't yet.
However I too will be moving away.
 I left IFTTT for the same reason but it seems enough users bit the bullet to make thier decision work. ( so far)
There are enough free voice activation options out there that you don't need to pay for one.

I left wink and ifttt because they went to subscriptions.   I am afraid once one company decides to go the subscription route, the others will not be that far behind.   

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2023, 05:28:37 pm »
If it does happen, then home brew systems will get a big boost. Kind of like when the 1st gen Echo came out, there were no skills and no routines. When I got mine several months before the public release, I almost returned it because it was kind of useless. It was just a voice Google that gave lousy answers. When DIY hobbiests gained interest, people made their own thing with Samsung Smartthings and other lesser known solutions (X10, Rasberry Pi, etc.)