Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Recent software update on your Fire TV

mike27oct

Recent software update on your Fire TV
« on: June 16, 2016, 02:57:53 pm »
Received an Amazon email with title "Recent software update on your Fire TV".  informing that Alexa voice control is now available on all Fire TVs; with or without a voice remote.  If you don't have a voice remote, use the Fire TV Remote App to speak to Fire TV.  I have tried it, and it works.  Have launched things via voice control; e.g. Netflix, played Tune-in radio stations, got weather forecast, etc.

Yoda_One

Re: Recent software update on your Fire TV
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 04:02:58 pm »
Mike I have been saying that. Ever since last update all this is happening but still waiting for it to integrate with my calendar or timers.
I keep the FireTVs active by connecting them via BT when not in use for video, by doing this they stay active without the TV and available at my beck and call. It nice for playing music etc.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:16:16 pm by Yoda_One »

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 02:24:17 am »
I don't know when the new update came in to my Fire TV, it could have been a while ago, although I just got the email yesterday.  Good idea to keep your Fire TV active via BT, but that won't work for me because my TV is kept off most of the time and sound from TV feeds the stereo.  But, so does an Echo Dot, and the stereo is never turned off so can play music from Dot audio out at anytime.

I noticed the Alexa in Fire TV said the timer was not functional at the present time, so maybe it will be there soon. 

I also have noticed that the Kodi app I have installed in the (gen 1) Fire TV stick (which was a bit flakey at first) works flawlessly now and can play any appropriate file I send to it, and that could be due in part to updates of Fire TV and also, Kodi.

Yoda_One

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 10:47:41 am »
Fire OS 5.2.1.0 was release May 19th, It installed on my on the 20th and I have working with the ends and out from that date. I will be a happy camper when it is fully Echo aware. I truly hope that Amazon will be able to daisy chain all their Alexa system together so it would be to make its whole house intercom( it is too much trouble to get up and tap the talk switch or tune a station on the whole house intercom) and music player. Now, from my point of view it would be the next logical step to stay ahead of the competition. I know I can achieve the whole house music system with Google by creating groups with their app so this should not be a big leap for Amazon designers.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 02:02:13 pm by Yoda_One »

Vonda Z

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 01:21:58 pm »
I don't know when the new update came in to my Fire TV, it could have been a while ago, although I just got the email yesterday.

This post refers to a lot of functionality - some of which has been around for quite a while. Here is a history of these updated for those interested:

The ability to use Alexa on the FireTV came with an earlier update (5.0.5) that started rolling out in February, but took about a month to go out to everyone. I have been using that feature to control my rat room lights from the TV in the rat room (pet room in the basement). It gave us the ability to use almost all of the functionality of Alexa on the FireTV. There are a few exceptions - timers and alarms was the only functionality that I could find that was missting - likely because for most, the FireTV is not always on (especially if your TV/speakers are off).  http://www.aftvnews.com/fire-tv-software-update-5-0-5-begins-rolling-out-to-1st-gen-devices/

Fire TV update 5.2.1.0 started rolling out in May. This update contained the code necessary to start apps and Prime TV Shows/Movies using the voice remote - but that code was not enabled at the time of rollout, so there were no noticeable changes with that update.
http://www.aftvnews.com/fire-tv-software-update-5-2-1-0-is-now-rolling-out/

There were problems with that rollout (my understanding is screensaver issues) and devices stopped receiving it for a while. An updated version started rolling out around June 9th, fixing the issues. Again, there were no noticeable feature changes with that rollout, although the update did contain the (disabled) code for voice launching apps and movies/TV shows.
http://www.aftvnews.com/new-version-of-fire-tv-software-update-5-2-1-0-starts-rolling-out/
http://www.aftvnews.com/revised-5-2-1-0-fire-tv-software-update-fixes-screensaver-issues/

That rollout went out to everyone very quickly. On Wednesday, June 15th, Amazon turned on the new firmware's ability to allow users to launch apps and start movies and TV shows by voice. You can now say (speaking into the voice remote), "Launch Netflix" to start Neflix or "Watch Orphan Black" to watch the TV show. Note that this functionality is still a little rough. The most popular apps work fine when launching via voice remote. But less commonly used apps are sometimes not identified properly. For example, the FireTV can not properly recognize the Tablo app by voice command (it looks for "tableau" instead of "tablo").
http://www.aftvnews.com/launching-apps-and-videos-with-alexa-is-now-working-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 03:38:55 pm »
Thanks for the update on the updates.  I believe this last update is one that finally allowed the mic in the mobile app to function, and who cares if timer doesn't work now.  Basically. it is functional for the most part.  For most Alexa functions I would not use the Fire TV, but rather one of the other three Echo gizmos.  IF using the Fire TV. it then makes more sense to ask Fire/Alexa the weather, etc.  I don't use the smart home features for turning lights off and on, so don't know if that is functional via Fire TV.  Still exploring the capabilities of new features of Fire TV app.  It's nice that this functionality is there for the older, 1st gen, Fire TV, too.

Yoda_One

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 05:56:32 pm »
Yes, you can control the smart appliances with FireTV.  I use that ability to turn on the bookcases and entertainment lights such as the backlight of  LEDs for the TVs, very convenient since I already have the remote besides me.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk