Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Limit commands per room

paul@sinnema.ch

Limit commands per room
« on: September 06, 2023, 04:32:08 am »
I'm using Alexa for my home automation. I have a Loxone Miniserver in combination with a 1Home Box. The 1Home box is connected to Alexa and can receive commands like 'Alexa Turn On Bathroom' and it will turn on the lights in the Bathroom. So far very cool. The problem is the following. I have 3 bedrooms and each has it's own Alexa Device. Now when I say: 'Alexa set bedroom cooling temperature to 23', Alexa does not know which bedroom (of course). So I have to change the thermostats for each room to a name that is unique which in turn makes the commands even longer, f.i. 'Alexa, set guest bedroom 1 cooling temperature to 23'. Is there a way to limit the commands for a specific Alexa Device to just the room it is in? So, when I'm in Guest bedroom 1 I can just say: 'Alexa set cooling temperature to 23'?

Re: Limit commands per room
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 11:20:54 am »
In the Alexa app go to "Devices" and set up a "group" for each room.  In that group you can designate the specific devices for that room, including a specific Echo device.  If you are in that room you can then command Alexa to do things like "turn on lights" and it will only affect that particular group.

I have two rooms that are open to each other, with an Echo Dot in each room, so one dot responds to 'Alexa' and the other to 'Echo' so that they can control their respective rooms.

The one thing to watch for is weird acoustics!  Once in a while, if you're standing in just the right place an Echo device two doors down the hall may respond to your command!