Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Shut Off Issues

Alexa Shut Off Issues
« on: August 19, 2023, 10:40:10 pm »
I have an Echo 10 gen 3.  When I tell Alexa to turn of the screen, the screen turns off.  However, when I hit the mute button on top, the screens turns back on.  Short of unplugging the device, is there a way to shut off the screen and be muted?

So far not overly impressed with my new device.  I have also linked Alexa to my Ring camera's and can view in the app.  But when I tell Alexa to open one, she responds with that camera does not support that. So to see a Camera, I have to go to my iPhone and click on it in my Favorites. What a pain.  If it is user error, then this device is harder to figure out than led to believe. 

Advice appreciated. :-[

Re: Alexa Shut Off Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 10:48:01 am »
I guess no-one has an answer.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 02:56:58 pm »
nope, not that many helpers on here  so sometimes it takes time to get help if you do not want to do a simple google search to find the answers.   Basically, you need to learn the commands.   

1. you can give a mute command (say alexa, mute) but just about anything will turn the screen back on because it works like a screen saver.   If you want to turn everything off, you will have to unplug it. 
2.  you are giving the wrong command to the show in order to view the ring.   You do not say open, you say show.   Say alexa, show ring camera name

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031246432-Control-Your-Ring-Doorbell-or-Security-Camera-with-Alexa

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 03:24:39 pm »
Thanks - voice command works on the Echo Show 10 but I have to touch it on my older iPhone.  Good excuse to get a new iPone I guess. 

As for turning the screen off and muting without unplugging, I am going to try an Alexa compatible plug and turn off the Echo 10 using a voice command on my dot.

Thanks again for the reply.