Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

"Alexa doesn't support that" (Smart plug) connected to light. Lost power and had

"Alexa doesn't support that" (Smart plug) connected to light. Lost power and had to re-add the device to App, ideas?

Strange but I am sure not new. Lost power. One plug did not come back online and blinked red. I reset it. It came up in Alexa App as "4th Plug". I renamed it to the old name I used before which was "Office". "Office" disappeared from the device list.

SO when I said "Alexa Office on"So Alexa, she rudely and in an aggressive demeaning holier than thou outburst stated defiantly: " Alexa doesn't support that".

Ok,I have nothing else in terms of a device named "Office" in Alexa app.

I do have a few scheduled (click) time routines that had "Office" device name in them which became blank (as they should) after plug was reset.

So I had to go in to each routine and add the action to: Office light on or off. Then received from echo same response "Alexa doesn't support that".

I did not want to erase all the routines since they did not have "Office" as a real device name but they had things like "Office on morning 1" in the routine name section which imo should not matter, it is a name.

Workaround:

So I then changed device name of "Office" to "Bonus". So then I had to create 2 actual phrase routines which I never had to before called "Alexa Office On" and on for "Off". Those would turn "Bonus device Smart Plug-On and Off. And changed all routines to reference the device "Bonus" instead of my "Office" which worked for years.

But I really want the office name.. Boo Hoo...

I used like we all do be able to say Alexa (plug, or light name) and power state (on or off) "Alexa Living Room On (or office).

Thoughts for getting Office device name back and eliminating the " Alexa doesn't support that" message from Echo?

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely

Peter

I think I found it and it was because there was a group named Office which makes no sense as it was in there before. I deleted group and could rename device to Office.
Peter

I think I found it and it was because there was a group named Office which makes no sense as it was in there before. I deleted group and could rename device to Office.
Peter

Glad you got it worked out.   Similar names can be a problem with alexa.   Sometimes updates will mess things up even though it worked before.   I had similar problmes with a couple of names myself a while back.     You might have been okay if you were able to get it going without a reset.