Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

sponsored ads

sponsored ads
« on: June 30, 2023, 08:58:29 am »
I now noticed every single time I give a command that involves a smartplug or bulb, I immediately get sponsored ads selling me smart devices on the Show 10 3rd gen.     I knew they were slowly rolling them out, but this is ridicules.    I sometimes wonder if their plan is to force ads on users, then eventually offer a subscription package to get rid of them.   If I did not have the ring doorbell cams, I would replace it with a dot. 

I wonder if creating a routine to start Photo Frame every three hours will stop those ads.   And if it would interfere with Ring Doorbell cam.

Re: sponsored ads
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 08:37:12 pm »
well... I noticed a new bunch of things happening on all of my visual echos (Show 15's, Spot, Fire Tablets, used in Show mode), where they add new settings and then I get the ads and crap... I've been able to go in each time so far and figure out what new settings they added, and turn the off. All the new stuff seems to be defaulted to "ON" upon the update. Just have to turn off the garbage. I'm not familiar with the Show 10, but I assume the new settings are what you keep having . I don;t even know which category it is, but maybe under display, or some other "Content" setting... there are so many BS items I don't want to see, and prefer they quit adding things to mine without my consent... even though somewhere in the EULA, I'm sure I gave them consent to do this unruly crap. Again, All a part of being a BETA tester.

I now noticed every single time I give a command that involves a smartplug or bulb, I immediately get sponsored ads selling me smart devices on the Show 10 3rd gen.     I knew they were slowly rolling them out, but this is ridicules.    I sometimes wonder if their plan is to force ads on users, then eventually offer a subscription package to get rid of them.   If I did not have the ring doorbell cams, I would replace it with a dot. 

I wonder if creating a routine to start Photo Frame every three hours will stop those ads.   And if it would interfere with Ring Doorbell cam.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 09:41:13 pm »
I made it a point to go through home content on the show and notifications on the app to make sure there is nothing new to turn off.    Seems just about every other time there is something new. 

You cannot rely on the eula since amazon will change it any time they want to abuse their position and add something they know users don't want without their knowledge.   Which means, what you originally agree to around eight years ago, most likely, no longer exists. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2023, 11:21:24 am »
We all knew it was coming. Amazon is starting to chip away at little things that we used to have for free. For example, the Ring alarm system used to be completely free unless you choose to purchase the professional monitoring. Last year they took away the free part, so you can't even get notifications on your phone when your alarm is going off. What good is an alarm system if you can't get notified when you are away? They also took away the ability to turn on/off your alarm remotely from your phone. You have to pay for these things now. Luckily if your Ring alarm was activated before this change, you are grandfathered in so you won't have to pay for these essential features.

As for me, I have just traded in the very last one of my Echo Show 5 yesterday. I've owned eight Echo Shows. Over the past two years, Amazon would add junk to my home screen every couple of weeks. I know I can go to the Home Content and disable it each one, but it was just ridiculous how they came up with more and more garbage to add to the Home Content every week. That's when I decided to get rid of all of my Echo Shows. Whenever Amazon allowed me to do so, I would trade in an Echo Show ($20) plus a 25% discount on any new Echo device. I have replaced them with two Echo gen 4 and several Echo Dot gen 5 with clock.

Echo Show had so much going for it, like the ability to see your Ring doorbell, video calls, digital photo frame, lyrics while playing Prime music, large clock, etc. But Amazon ruined it completely. It is dead to me. I never want to see an Echo Show again. I'm glad I returned the $1000 Astro too. Because sooner or later, the Astro's screen will be filled with garbage. After all it's just a big Echo Show with wheels.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 12:16:10 pm »
I've got 2 Echo Show 15's and those are Awesome. Yes, I have to go in and kill any of the new updates from content to keep control of it, but I don't need to pay for looking out the front door with my ring doorbell. I have only one Fire tablet I'm using as a Show, and it doesn't have the same issues the show 5 and 8 and all those have, and I have one echo spot, which uses yet a different OS than the Show's... I believe a chopped down version of the Tablet OS is what it is running. Updating it and resetting are way different than any other of my echos.
I'm not at the point of getting rid of anything at this point, as I am no way unaware of the BETA testing we are doing for them. One day the marketing department will get everything turned into pay for play on every aspect of these things. If that day comes before I die or before the global economic meltdown we are being promised, I will decide if any of it is worth anything to me. I'm almost 60 now, so likely I will be a lot less dependent than some, but may become more dependent than others.
I don't use the video doorbell or drop in enough to have a huge need for it if the video units become an issue.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2023, 12:07:42 pm »
When you say you don't have to pay to see your Ring Doorbell, what do you mean?  I have a Ring Doorbell and Camera and I have to pay 11/month for it and I have Ring linked to Alexa.  Are you saying there a way around paying for the Ring device monitoring when you have Alexa?

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2023, 07:06:41 pm »
When you say you don't have to pay to see your Ring Doorbell, what do you mean?  I have a Ring Doorbell and Camera and I have to pay 11/month for it and I have Ring linked to Alexa.  Are you saying there a way around paying for the Ring device monitoring when you have Alexa?

Good Question... What I meant is I don't pay more or extra to have other access... just the annual ring plan for video "storage" I guess... No monthly due to the annual payment... I can tell the echos "Show me the front door". Of course I will say, I only have the one camera hooked up to it. I have a few blink cams and the bridge, with local storage only for other video camera monitoring... No monthly cost on those at all. I don;t know if they even offer that situation any longer...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro