Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Thermostat Recommendations?

Thermostat Recommendations?
« on: June 10, 2016, 08:43:23 am »
Thinking about ugrading to a smart thermostat that is compatible with Echo.  Anyone using one?  What are some of the better ones to consider for ease of use, cost and functionality?

DParker

Re: Thermostat Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 08:58:02 am »
I have a pair of Ecobee3s that I've been very happy with.  Easy to install and use, they're integrated with Alexa devices and SmartThings, and have been 100% reliable for the year or do that I've had them.

My daughter has the Nest, and it has its advantages too (for her the primary advantage was that it came free from her electricity provider), but the product's future isn't looking very bright at the moment so it might not be a good investment in home automation terms.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 09:56:14 am »
Do you have the 2nd Gen Ecobee or the 1st?

DParker

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 11:44:32 am »
Do you have the 2nd Gen Ecobee or the 1st?

2nd.

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 12:18:43 pm »
When the internet or network is down I assume you can still control the main unit on the wall?

DParker

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 12:37:16 pm »
When the internet or network is down I assume you can still control the main unit on the wall?

Of course.  Both units are completely autonomous with built-in video interfaces.  Their WiFi capability is strictly for remote control and software updates.

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 12:46:55 pm »
Thanks

Yoda_One

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 01:58:25 pm »
I use the smart Wi-Fi Honeywell's thermostats with IFTTT recipe. Alexa trigger Main decrease temperature or Alexa trigger Room increase temperature.
Also there is already voice control through the Honeywell's App and naturally you can always manually adjust the system.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:01:04 pm by Yoda_One »

Daithi

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 03:15:28 pm »
I have the Nest thermostat. It was very easy to install. It also works pretty seamlessly with the Echo, so I can raise and lower the thermostat or set the thermostat to a specific temperature. However, I cannot ask, "Alexa, what is the thermostat's temperature?" Does anyone have a different thermostat that allows you to ask what the device's temperature is currently set at? Does the ecobee3 support this?

Oh, one other issue I sometimes have with the Nest is that if I don't walk in front of it for a period of time it goes into "away mode" (i.e. it thinks I've left the house), and goes into an energy saving cooling/heating cycle, and when it is in away mode you can't change the temperature with the Echo. This is pretty annoying. I notice it is in this mode when it starts getting hot, but I can't have the Echo set the temp --- I need to get off my butt and walk in front of the Nest.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:21:38 pm by Daithi »

Kelleytoons

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 03:37:40 pm »
I really like the Sensi:

https://sensicomfort.com/

Installed it a few months ago and never had ANY issues with it.  I love being able to tell Lexa to raise or lower the temp at night in bed.  And it is by FAR the most compatible and easiest to install of any thermostat (it will work with ALL pre-existing thermostat installs, something Nest and others will NOT do).

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 03:52:10 pm »
I have the honeywell wifi.  was supposted be be able to direct connect to the echo by the end of march, amazon forgot to say what year  :-)  before you get one, make sure you have a c wire from your current thermostat to your heating/cooling system or if the thermostat has the ability to run without one or you are able to add a 24 volt adapter. 

DParker

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 04:08:56 pm »
I have the Nest thermostat. It was very easy to install. It also works pretty seamlessly with the Echo, so I can raise and lower the thermostat or set the thermostat to a specific temperature. However, I cannot ask, "Alexa, what is the thermostat's temperature?" Does anyone have a different thermostat that allows you to ask what the device's temperature is currently set at? Does the ecobee3 support this?

The Ecobee3 supports it, and many other things as well.  The problem is that the Alexa "Smart Home" semantics don't, no matter which thermostat you're using.

I have the honeywell wifi.  was supposted be be able to direct connect to the echo by the end of march, amazon forgot to say what year  :-)  before you get one, make sure you have a c wire from your current thermostat to your heating/cooling system or if the thermostat has the ability to run without one or you are able to add a 24 volt adapter.

Another advantage of the Ecobee3...it comes with an adapter for that just in case.

Yoda_One

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 04:44:42 pm »
I have a 2 heat pumps and the detailed instructions were very easy to follow from Honeywell.  Yes it would be a great advantage and convenience to directly interface to my thermostat from Alexa especially when setting a specific temperature then I would not have to remember so many Triggered IFTTT.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 04:51:52 pm by Yoda_One »

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 04:59:03 pm »

Another advantage of the Ecobee3...it comes with an adapter for that just in case.

I would have gotten one too IF they were available when I purchased the Honeywell several years ago (pre echo) and knew what they would have been capable of :-)   

isolod

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 11:34:18 am »

Oh, one other issue I sometimes have with the Nest is that if I don't walk in front of it for a period of time it goes into "away mode" (i.e. it thinks I've left the house), and goes into an energy saving cooling/heating cycle, and when it is in away mode you can't change the temperature with the Echo. This is pretty annoying. I notice it is in this mode when it starts getting hot, but I can't have the Echo set the temp --- I need to get off my butt and walk in front of the Nest.
If I'm sitting or lying down and I find the nest in away mode, I use the app on my phone to put it back in home mode. No need to get up.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk