Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot with Clock failing to wake to music --- wifi problem?

DecadentDowngrade

Echo Dot with Clock failing to wake to music --- wifi problem?
« on: February 16, 2022, 11:35:00 am »
After much troubleshooting, my best theory is that the echo dot needs a minute to fully connect itself to wifi in the morning, though I don't know what to do about it.

Problem:  the point of my echo dot with clock device is to wake me up to music; tests during the day work like a charm, but when the moment of truth comes at 6am...I get the default alarm tone.  THEN if I snooze...it'll play music (though sometimes it'll throw in a wonky extra alarm tone 30 seconds later).

-Ruled out faulty device (returned and got a new one).
-The main echo dot works fine (though it's closer to my router)
-Music is Spotify (though I'm not sure that matters)
-Have gone through Amazon support, done all the resets, even reloaded my app.  It always works when testing it during the day, it just fails in the morning.  Tried numerous tests to try to get it to fail (including setting up multiple alarms) but it won't.  It's like a sick joke how great it works until I actually need it to.

I'm assuming it won't help to keep my phone in the bedroom---it's connecting to the wifi to get to Spotify, right?  Not connecting to the phone(?)

I really think it's the wifi connection because I accidentally "woke" the device (said "Alexa") an hour before the alarm needed to go off one morning, and then it did indeed wake me up to music.  I was awake before it went off this morning and I could see the light come on and then a long pause, like it was trying to find the music, then it goes to default alarm.  My guess is it works after snooze because the snooze gives it enough time to re-establish the connection.

Why would it lose the wifi connection at night?  Is it from being idle except when I need the alarm?  Is it because the bedroom door is closed and it's just not able to catch the wifi signal a couple rooms away?  Should I try getting a wifi booster for the bedroom?  Is there some kind of trick to get it to wake up prior to the alarm time?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree and it's the Spotify connection specifically that is idling out?

Thanks in advance.

DecadentDowngrade

Re: Echo Dot with Clock failing to wake to music --- wifi problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 06:41:30 am »
UPDATE:  I believe the primary issue is solved.  I put a wifi booster in the bedroom and was awakened to music, hurray.

And then, as though I were a sitcom character, it failed again after snooze.  But this, I think, might be a more run of the mill problem with Spotify.  I asked it to play music, and it said "Playing Spotify" but there was no sound (lots of stuff comes up for that problem upon googling).  My primary echo played music just fine.  So my guess is I have to reset the bedroom echo and re-link spotify.  Maybe I'll test it with an Amazon Music account and see if that's any better.

Crazy how much time has gone into this for something so simple.  I should have stuck to my old fashioned clock radio.

Offline jwlv

Re: Echo Dot with Clock failing to wake to music --- wifi problem?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 12:29:57 pm »
I have noticed that when WiFi is weak, any streaming music might not play at all even though Alexa still thinks it is playing. And there is no notification of that. And if it is playing, sometimes it would stop and will not restart on its own, and Alexa still thinks it is playing.

To me, that sounds like Alexa would receive the command to play music and would initiate it. But what happens after that, Alexa doesn't know and doesn't care. Until you command Alexa to stop playing the music, she'll continue to think that the music is still playing, whether it has already stopped or dropped off due to WiFi issues.