Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

amazon echo violates child protection laws

amazon echo violates child protection laws
« on: May 26, 2016, 04:46:33 pm »
amazon echo violates child protection laws???? Some are saying that since the echo records a childs voice, it violates coppa ... just read the following quote from the article.

An investigation by the Guardian has found that despite Amazon marketing the Echo to families with young children, the device is likely to contravene the US Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), set up to regulate the collection and use of personal information from anyone younger than 13....

...COPPA forbids a company from storing a child's personal information, including recordings of their voice, without the explicit, verifiable consent of their parents. The law specifies the ways a company can get that consent, such as a signed letter, video chat or phone call. Although all three companies store audio files of voice requests in the cloud, none of them use a COPPA-approved method to seek consent beforehand.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/may/26/amazon-echo-virtual-assistant-child-privacy-law

DParker

Re: amazon echo violates child protection laws
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 05:12:29 pm »
Along with every cell phone/tablet that's configured to automatically backup photos and other data to cloud storage.

This is yet another example of the unintended consequences of legislation drafted by people who don't really understand what it is that they're attempting to control.

TheFallenAngel

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 06:12:52 pm »
Well same thing about watching R content,  it is the parents who except control on their children. Simple option - don't but Echo of got can't prevent you kid of using it.

Then maybe they should later things like traffic cams,  security cams in all buildings, because they also record all children..

Cheers,
Alex

Deane Johnson

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 06:23:37 pm »
It would seem to me that if the parents purchase the Echo and place it for the children to use, that would be explicit permission.

DParker

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 06:41:27 pm »
It would seem to me that if the parents purchase the Echo and place it for the children to use, that would be explicit permission.

In common sense terms, sure.  But unfortunately, not according to the law in question.

Gerfnad

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 11:20:12 am »
Does Alexa even record your voice.  I say it does not.  It merely understands your voice (any voice).  I honestly don't think any laws are being broken.

TheFallenAngel

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 12:16:59 pm »
Does Alexa even record your voice.  I say it does not.  It merely understands your voice (any voice).  I honestly don't think any laws are being broken.
Yep,  you can listen to your voice commands in your app...

Cheers,
Alex

DParker

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 02:22:22 pm »
Does Alexa even record your voice.  I say it does not.

And you say that....why, exactly?

It merely understands your voice (any voice).  I honestly don't think any laws are being broken.

Same question.