Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa stops herself

Offline jwlv

Alexa stops herself
« on: April 28, 2016, 02:04:43 pm »
Yesterday when I was testing some things and I said, "Alexa, who are you?"

Alexa replied, "I am Alexa and I..." 

Apparently when she said "Alexa" she heard the word "Alexa" and stopped herself and waited for the next command.

I haven't been able repeat this anomaly since then.

Scooter

Re: Alexa stops herself
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 07:32:13 pm »
Is it really a she lol

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 08:20:46 pm »
Scooter, where have you been; are you new here?  Alexa is a woman's voice so naturally IT is referred to as she, but it is an "IT"; neither male or female.

I have a question for you:  Why are ships referred to as "she"?  Same reason as Alexa is. Because they are. LOL

Scooter

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 08:34:06 pm »
Good point pal. Never thought of that.

DParker

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 09:29:46 pm »
Because this thread isn't already weird enough.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 10:52:13 pm »
HUH??  Was Her a weird movie?  (Oh, now I get it: Her, She, It, Alexa, Roger, etc.) I totally passed on that movie.  Last week's movie about Miles Davis was quite strange.  If some Millennium generation person had seen it, they would not understand it at all unless they knew about Miles Davis' life.  But, to me it made perfect sense, and I kind of liked it.  A total collage of his screwy life.

(Have we confused Scooter enough already?)  Scooter: How is Kermit doing these days?

Scarpad

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 10:14:57 am »
You should try to get her in one of those Captain Kirk Induced Loops where she'll destroy herself

additude

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 05:08:20 am »
But isn't it all mostly relatively conditional depending on which gender specific perspective that the speaker is coming from?

Just because "it has" a female voice, that doesn't necessarily mean that in todays "modern" sophisticated cultural world that the "it" is a "female" that should be referenced by the word "she"...

It very well could be something totally and completely contradictory than perceived....

These days, no one can even definitively say to any degree of certainty, something as simple as "which restroom that it should use" as being of any defining certainty.

In Ship building, referencing "She" to ships was based on respect of the vessel and the work that the "male" crew had to engage in to keep "her" fit, proper and seaworthy. The ship would require as much maintenance and preparation as a damsel preparing for an evening out on the town...

DParker

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 09:26:39 am »
I turned both of mine over.  They're definitely female.

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 01:06:28 pm »
Way to go Parker; keep the conversation weird!   ;)

smokeyqat

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 12:08:41 pm »
You should try to get her in one of those Captain Kirk Induced Loops where she'll destroy herself
That is not logical.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk