Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Smartphone and Echo

odnox@aol.com

Smartphone and Echo
« on: April 26, 2016, 08:17:31 pm »
 After waiting, I finally got an Echo. Glad I did. Love the concept. We have 2 cell phones, one a Fire phone (and yes I do like it), the other a Samsung S3. Obviously it's time for a new phone. I have used both iPhone and Androids in the past. They both have their good points.
 I didn't see this topic in prior posts, or didn't go back far enough.
 I want the most of the phone/Echo relationship. So would like to know what is  the best system to work with Echo's capabilities. Additionally, does any particular phone stand out?
 Any opinions?  :o

ScottinPollock

Re: Smartphone and Echo
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 08:39:23 pm »
As long as your phone is capable of running the Alexa app, there is not much more you can use to interact with an echo.

There is an app named Roger that allows talking to Alexa remotely. If that is something you'd want to do, make sure it is compatible with your new phone as well.

With that said, if you plan to go Android, my preference is to avoid phones with heavy OEM mods to Android, which delay/discontinue updates, and can cause compatible issues with other Android systems (wear, auto,etc.). I have always gravitated to Nexus and some Moto models. The Nexus 6P is quite a standout.

DParker

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 09:02:26 pm »
I use an app ("Lannouncer") on my Android as a bridge between SmartThings and my Echos, which allows me to have them give me voice notifications driven by various events, via ST rules.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 02:13:14 am »
Just get a phone that's OS is supported by app makers, meaning an Android from many makers or an iPhone from one maker.  Completely avoid a Windows phone that's market share is a pathetic 2.6% and still dropping off the chart. The few App makers there are for Windows phones must be suicidal.

The single company with the most share of phones sold by OEM is Apple.  Although, as a group Android phones out sells the iOS phone, no single company out sells Apple, though.

I like how both the iOS and Android apps work with Alexa equally well.  I stream BT to the Alexa devices, and use both the iOS and Android devices to do the music-playing to stream.  Since android does a good job with playlists, I prefer that OS for music streaming.  I am glad I have an Android tablet as well as an iOS one.  But when it comes to the phone, iOS wins for me.  Just don't let the Echo device choose your phone for you.

I prefer an Apple phone for my own reasons (one being, I have an iPad, and apps made for both devices work the same; I like that.  I have an Android Amazon Kindle tablet, too.  Most apps for iOS and Android look and work best on the iOS devices, whereas there is a lot lacking with the Android version of same app.

Let me put it this way, by first having both an iPad and a Kindle before finally getting a smartphone  it was the iOS device that sold me on the phone OS platform to get, and not the Android OS platform.

Here are two links to examine regarding market share of phones:

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

https://www.comscore.com/Insights/Rankings/comScore-Reports-July-2015-US-Smartphone-Subscriber-Market-Share

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 02:39:14 am by mike27oct »

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 04:18:37 am »
Just get a phone that's OS is supported by app makers, meaning an Android from many makers or an iPhone from one maker.  Completely avoid a Windows phone that's market share is a pathetic 2.6% and still dropping off the chart. The few App makers there are for Windows phones must be suicidal.

The single company with the most share of phones sold by OEM is Apple.  Although, as a group Android phones out sells the iOS phone, no single company out sells Apple, though.

I like how both the iOS and Android apps work with Alexa equally well.  I stream BT to the Alexa devices, and use both the iOS and Android devices to do the music-playing to stream.  Since android does a good job with playlists, I prefer that OS for music streaming.  I am glad I have an Android tablet as well as an iOS one.  But when it comes to the phone, iOS wins for me.  Just don't let the Echo device choose your phone for you.

I prefer an Apple phone for my own reasons (one being, I have an iPad, and apps made for both devices work the same; I like that.  I have an Android Amazon Kindle tablet, too.  Most apps for iOS and Android look and work best on the iOS devices, whereas there is a lot lacking with the Android version of same app.

Let me put it this way, by first having both an iPad and a Kindle before finally getting a smartphone  it was the iOS device that sold me on the phone OS platform to get, and not the Android OS platform.

Here are two links to examine regarding market share of phones:

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

https://www.comscore.com/Insights/Rankings/comScore-Reports-July-2015-US-Smartphone-Subscriber-Market-Share

I guess it depends on the source as to who sells the most phones or how bias the source is.   

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-regains-smartphone-sales-crown-from-apple/
http://www.fastcompany.com/3056069/fast-feed/samsung-again-easily-sells-more-phones-than-apple-in-q4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_mobile_phones

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 02:23:01 pm »
Always a cynic.  Bottom line is check into this, however one does it, and think about it. The main takeaway is one would be foolish to buy a Windows phone or a Blackberry phone -- and especially an Amazon Fire phone, TODAY.  BTW, Your sources are from opinionated online magazines and Wikipedia, which again is riddled with OPINIONS; the sources I gave are actual research organization data based upon standard research techniques.  Who really cares if Apple or Android is winning the race this week; just stay clear of the clear losers.

DParker

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 02:34:51 pm »
BTW, Your sources are from opinionated online magazines and Wikipedia, which again is riddled with OPINIONS; the sources I gave are actual research organization data based upon standard research techniques

Perhaps you should have actually read the cites before responding.  All three sources he gave are referencing data published by well-known market research firms (Strategy Analytics and Gartner), not the "opinions" of either the articles' or the wiki's authors.  Also, your sources only analyzed data through 2015Q2, while his were through 2015Q4.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 02:42:00 pm by DParker »

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 04:12:35 pm »
Always a cynic.  Bottom line is check into this, however one does it, and think about it. The main takeaway is one would be foolish to buy a Windows phone or a Blackberry phone -- and especially an Amazon Fire phone, TODAY.  BTW, Your sources are from opinionated online magazines and Wikipedia, which again is riddled with OPINIONS; the sources I gave are actual research organization data based upon standard research techniques.  Who really cares if Apple or Android is winning the race this week; just stay clear of the clear losers.

No more than yours.  as my stat teacher said, you can take any statistic and make it say anything you want.  The point is, some quarters samsung sold more, some quarters apple sold more. your articles only mentions a quarter Apple sold more.  And just because some phones do not sell as well as apple or samsung, does not mean they are losers and to stay clear of them.  Some of them are actually good phones - they just didn't meet the needs of what the majority of the users want in a phone.  Everyone needs to research the different phones and see if they could find one that fit their needs and based on what they can afford. 

I personally think both apple and android phones are good.  I had several iphones but changed to android because I wanted a bigger screen, the ability to do more screen customizing, more storage and a stylus.   The only real plus with the iphone (at the time),was its security.   Todays iphone is getting closer to my needs but not there yet. When it gets there, then I will consider it again. 

To the person who started this thread, look at your needs and compare phones based on it.   Dont be a sheep and get a phone because it is popular, upgrade to something that fit your needs - and your wallet. 

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 08:48:03 pm »
@Parker and renegade:

I agree with you Parker, and in no way am I pitching iOS over Android.  I would be remissm though, if I did not tell anyone shopping for a phone that Windows and Blackberry phones have no market share, and if APPS for their current and future gizmos are important to that person, to avoid these phones and any phone that has low market acceptance to get one.  This is because very few companies make apps for their gear unless there is a solid base of users for a platform that justifies making an app for it.  Case in point: try and control an Echo with a Windows phone app!

Look at WD; they only make their My Cloud app that controls all their new devices for iOS and Android users.  Windows users (what few there are) are complaining loudly at the forum, but to no avail.  WD is not going to waste time and money developing an app for a non-existent base of users.  Same can be said for Seagate, and the list goes on and on. 

I personally would not buy a product from any company that does not support, with apps, my mobile devices today, and why I have a "popular" phone and never will have a "loser" phone or tablet.  That's not being a "sheep," that's being aware of what is happening around the tech environment.

So, I am not splitting hairs over who among the winners have the most market share; I just am pointing out how poorly some devices are accepted and what the consequences and implications are.  It's the old Betamax vs VHS story all over again.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:51:21 pm by mike27oct »