Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Can Alexa play a homemade WAV file

Q-Dizzle

Can Alexa play a homemade WAV file
« on: February 22, 2020, 05:20:14 pm »
I have a WAV file that I recorded and placed on my Windows PC.  I have an echo dot in another room that I want to play this file on, in infinite loop.  Imagine something like ambient noise that I want to play all night, but the source file is a WAV that I recorded.  Is this possible?  TIA

Re: Can Alexa play a homemade WAV file
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 07:04:03 pm »
unless things have changed recently, the only thing that will let you play it is plexi or my media third party apps.

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 09:38:39 am »
If it is originally a WAV file, you should be able to convert it to another type of file to play as well... but yeah... one of the already mentioned "player/servers" should do what you want.

HOWEVER... I have found Alexa kinda gets bored and forgets to keep playing things if left unchecked... like turning a Pandora Station on and leaving it to play (this may also only be due to me being cheap and using the free version only), Alexa stops playing a n hour or so in as though there is a timer involved. It actually seems like maybe the same time frame Pandora starts badgering you asking if you're still listening... which is again probably due to me using the Freebie version of PANDORA...

Also... can't you upload tunes to Amazon Music as well? I know I can with some music services... but I can't remember if Amazon lets you. In which case it may only take certain types of files, again, needing conversion to the new format... Just thoughts.

2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Q-Dizzle

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 08:01:03 am »
I installed Plex, as you suggested.  That was partially successful.  Alexa using Plex will play store bought MP3s from my PC library, but would not recognize my WAV.  So I converted the WAV to MP3, two different ways, and Plex still cannot see the file.  I may just give up on this and buy an MP3 player with a speaker.  Thanks for the input, though.  I did learn something new with this.