Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Newbie! Need help with DOT setup

Newbie! Need help with DOT setup
« on: November 29, 2019, 10:51:48 pm »
:) SOLVED! :)  OK I figured it out!  I found the "password" (aka security code) I found this link from Windows that guided me through the steps to uncover the location of the code. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023501/windows-find-wireless-network-password   

I am now able to have the Amazon Alexa Echo Dot 3rd Gen working!

OK I am new here and just got an Echo Dot with my Insignia 50 Inch TV from Amazon.com. I am trying to get the DOT set up but I think I discovered what may be the problem.  But 1st I will try to explain it this way -- I have a WIFI Cable Router (provided and serviced by a local internet service) It is an ARRIS Model #DG2470A. In attempting to set up the Echo DOT via the setup program using my laptop, I seem to be unable to complete the setup because when asked for a "password" for the Router, nothing I have tried seems to allow the set=up program to continue.

The setup asks me to connect to the Amazon WIFI through my WIFI settings on the laptop,  so I do that --- only to see my WIFI internet connection for the laptop become "disconnected".  The set-up program then asks for an Internet Connection (from the WIFI router) and as it happens it asks for that "password" (which I am unable to provide).

Now -- I THINK I know what I should try is this ----  And tell me if I am right?  I think I need to have the "laptop" connected via an Ethernet cable directly to the Router.  That way I am "hard-wired" to the Router with the laptop, then I can proceed to connect the Echo DOT (by finishing the set-up) to select the Amazon WIFI connection -- Does that sound right?

Once I have the Echo linked to the WIFI/Router I can then remove the hard-wired Ethernet cable to my laptop and I should be all set?

Let me know if I am mistaken here!  Thanks!  RichardinKY
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 03:04:58 am by RichardinKY »

Re: Newbie! Need help with DOT setup
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 09:17:39 pm »
glad you got it working.  things get slow here around the holidays and some of the experts who could have helped are not as active.