Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

MikeNY

« on: April 14, 2016, 07:43:08 pm »
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:15:17 am by MikeNY »

Re: List of preferred equipment.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 01:34:43 am »
Subscribe to Consumer Reports magazine, and you will likely get your answer. 
Subscribers also have full access to their website chock full of past articles and product evaluations. 
Non-subscribers can read a lot (but not all) of the current articles.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 01:43:30 am by mike27oct »

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 11:27:16 am »
I do now, but they don't test everything and some of their evaluations are subjective.

I just wanted to add: Consumer Reports reviews the smart home, says no to Nest and is meh on Hue

I don't know about the Nest, but CR's main gripe with Hue is the cost, which is a legitimate point.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 11:50:40 am »
I have 2 Ecobee3s that I must say I've been pretty happy with so far.  I've only had them for just under 1 year so I can't evaluate their long-term reliability yet, but they were easy to install and configure, and both the Android app and web interface work well.

My daughter has a Nest thermostat that she got for free from her electricity provider about 8 months ago.  She's not what you'd call a technology power-user, but she hasn't had any complaints about it yet.  What sort of problems do you have with yours?

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 01:08:02 pm »
I have the honeywell thermostat and still waiting on amazon echo to support it directly.  They said by the end of march...  I am using honeywell because I do not have a c wire and it was the only one that I found at the time that I can run a wire to a wall outlet. 

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 05:24:15 pm »
All you have to do is provide a "C" wire by adding a 24 volt power supply. It's easy.. then you too can bang your head on the wall with a NEST.

The Ecobee3 even includes what they call a "Power Extender Kit" for that very purpose.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 05:42:00 pm »
at the time I purchased the honeywell, there was not much info out there about c-wire replacements.  The only one I could find anything about was honeywell so I went with them.   This was several years ago. 

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 06:06:37 pm »
Does your Honeywell use batteries to compensate for the lack of a "C"?

at the time I purchased the honeywell, there was not much info out there about c-wire replacements.  The only one I could find anything about was honeywell so I went with them.   This was several years ago.

as I said in my original post, I had to run a wire from it to the wall outlet, so no batteries. 

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 06:35:09 pm »
Oh right.. I remember now.. sorry. I'm old..  :(

Does your Honeywell use batteries to compensate for the lack of a "C"?

as I said in my original post, I had to run a wire from it to the wall outlet, so no batteries.

It happens to me all the time.  Sometimes my memory gets so bad, I forget what I read in a previous paragraph :-)