Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Dot - BT vs Wired?

Floridadomer

Dot - BT vs Wired?
« on: April 13, 2016, 11:49:30 am »
I believe I read somewhere that if you are going to use BT on the Dot, it needs to be at least 3 feet away. I would like to have it sitting right next to my BT speaker. So if that is this case, it brings up these questions:

1.) is there an advantage or disadvantage of BT vs Wired?
2.) Could I possibly do any damage to either device having them sitting next to each other. (magnets,vibrations, etc)

Thanks in advance for any help!

DParker

Re: Dot - BT vs Wired?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 12:04:42 pm »
I believe I read somewhere that if you are going to use BT on the Dot, it needs to be at least 3 feet away. I would like to have it sitting right next to my BT speaker. So if that is this case, it brings up these questions:

1.) is there an advantage or disadvantage of BT vs Wired?
2.) Could I possibly do any damage to either device having them sitting next to each other. (magnets,vibrations, etc)

Thanks in advance for any help!

The "3 feet" recommendation comes from the Quick Start Guide (https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/customerdocumentation/Alexa+Devices/Echo_Dot_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf).  I know that it is possible from some Bluetooth radios to be poorly implemented such that they can cause reliability problems if placed too closely to another radio, so I would imagine that Amazon is just covering their bases with that advice.  But closer proximity isn't going to cause any damage.

The advantages to a wired connection are better reliability and sound quality, and to a much lesser degree, less RF noise "pollution" in your home.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:44:55 pm by DParker »

Floridadomer

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 12:13:30 pm »
Thank you!

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 01:46:34 pm »
I wonder... is wired louder than BT?  I seem to notice a drop-off (significant) with my BT receiving devices vs.  direct connect.  Is there any way to boost the BT signal so it is louder?

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 03:03:02 am »
Just as using a device "wired" vs "wireless" is better because wireless in the mix adds issues not found using straight wire connections.  So yes, wired is better than BT, in most cases, but then the portability of the sound is important, too.  Most BT speakers have no adjustable volume, but then my wired connection of Dot to stereo has none either except with the stereo volume control.  So, I have the Dot at a volume level that matches all the volume levels of other devices and do not use Dot to do all the volume adjusting connected to stereo, we use the master volume control of the stereo.

This is not to say do one or the other; just understand what can cause any volume differences for best results.

leehop71

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 08:44:14 am »
For me, the 'portability' is the whole reason for BT connections.

If portability wasn't an issue, and a person didn't mind the wire situation, then I would say wired would definitely be the way to go!

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 02:09:45 pm »
Agree, Lee.  Not everyone has a small "mini" BT speaker like you and I.  I have a friend with a large Bose BT speaker the size of a large breadbox that he bought for an outdoor gathering.  It was used via BT for that occasion so someone in the audience could control the music played via BT.  At home, it is not often used with BT, so it is plugged in from a music source.

One issue I have found with using a BT speaker as a replacement for the Dot speaker, is the BT speaker needs constant power or be recharged frequently if on 24/7.  So, I went through my collection of speakers purchased over the years and found a small Sony stereo speaker I had bought for an iPod when I traveled. It can be connected to the Dot 24/7 and needs no power, because the Dot's preamp can play through speaker with or without power to speaker.  Speaker is designed to do this. Very handy, and it is now the speaker used on our bedroom Dot.

mobilelawyer

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 03:09:38 pm »
Another advantage of a wired connection is that using a Bluetooth connection with my receiver, an Onkyo NR-TX626, seems to require re-pairing the device every time I tell Alexa to connect it, and to wait while that process is completed. The sound is good, once the connection is complete, but it makes the task more complex and the wait for the connection of off-putting.

Kelleytoons

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 03:41:12 pm »
This is a rather old thread, but I thought I'd mention my current setup has my bedroom Dot wired into three different speaker systems (one outside to our pool, one inside our bedroom, and the other to a standalone speaker that doesn't need power) using a splitter.  It also connects via BT to a speaker I use in the shower (so when I turn it on it disconnects the wired connections).

The other Dot connects via bluetooth to our living room system, but the repairing happens automatically in either Dot and only takes a second or two, so I don't think that's much of an issue for folks who want to switch back and forth (I bought a Logitech BT receiver for around $25 that does this -- you should NOT have to do any repairing yourself).

mobilelawyer

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 04:27:05 pm »
Another advantage of a wired connection is that using a Bluetooth connection with my receiver, an Onkyo NR-TX626, seems to require re-pairing the device every time I tell Alexa to connect it, and to wait while that process is completed. The sound is good, once the connection is complete, but it makes the task more complex and the wait for the connection of off-putting.

I found the source of the problem. I was saying "Alexa: Connect Speaker." The command to connect the previously- paired receiver should have been "Connect Bluetooth". Using the latter command prevents the re-pairing delay. You should also say "Disconnect Bluetooth" rather than disconnect speaker to disconnect the bluetooth device.