Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo begins playing same song from my playlist when streaming music

Tim Preston

When I ask the echo to play a playlist from any streaming service, Pandora, Spotify or Amazon Music it always starts with the same song rather than where it left off.  Additionally I have to tell it to shuffle the songs each time rather than that command sticking.

I've tried a variety of commands to have it begin with random songs or from where it left off but always the same song. 

Does anyone have any idea how to control this?  I would rather it start where it last left from that playlist or at the very least a random selection from the playlist.

mike27oct

Re: Echo begins playing same song from my playlist when streaming music
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 01:25:18 pm »
When you start any playlist ask Alexa first thing to "shuffle playlist 'X'"

Tim Preston

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 01:51:02 pm »
Telling it to shuffle seems to work.  It will take getting used to asking it to shuffle a playlist to play it instead of just saying play but good if I don't have to listen to the same song when it starts all the time.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 04:55:30 pm »
Any playlist starts at the beginning unless directed otherwise.  Not really an Echo issue only.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 06:47:10 pm »
While playing, you can always say "shuffle on."

Tim Preston

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 10:56:24 am »
Any playlist starts at the beginning unless directed otherwise.  Not really an Echo issue only.

No, this is unique to Echo in my experience.  Using Android Auto in my car, or even just bluetooth when I start a playlist it always starts from the last song played.  Same on my PC when I call up the web version of any service.  When I select a playlist it always begins with a different song.  I never ran into this problem until I connected my echo to the services.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 07:14:04 pm »
OK, if you say so.  At least you know how it works from Echo now.